herniated disc - lower back-surgery
Has anyone had an operation to remove a herniated disk in their lower back? My operation is 2 weeks away and am feeling a little nervous. Also am taking strong anti inflammatories and tramadol daily and although my pain is under control I have a host of other problems and when I tried to reduce my dose Ì felt much worse from the withdrawal symptoms
The operations (called a laminectomy) always work for a while and then the problem returns. These should be a "last ditch" solution after completing a physical rehab program including the exercise protocols and keeping well hydrated. Before the operation it pays to have a 3T MRI (not a 1T) and have the procedure done at a facility that does a lot of them.  Before surgery, modern protocols dictate that both physical rehab and a transdermal lidocaine patch be prescribed. Worn no more than 12 hours a day. And a TENS device.  If transdermal lidocaine has not been suggested (before Tramadol) the physician is not acquainted with the latest treatment protocols.