Back & Neck Community
hip, groin and leg pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

hip, groin and leg pain

I have had pain and weakness in the right hip, groin and leg for 1 1/2 years, and the last 3 months it has been much worse.  I had an EMG and hip x-ray, then later a lumbar w-ray. All were fine- just mild/moderate degeneration which for age 50 is ok.  I have been seeing a holistic chiropractor and her massge therapists, but not getting better.  some days are better than others.
The pain:  groin pain which make the inner front thigh tighten up and rear and side pain deep in hip.  Along with this (or perhaps from it) I get pain that radiates down to my knee.  The outside of my knee gets knotted and pain goes around to the bottom.  Then, I get a burning pain down my shin and prickly pain to the sides of the shin bone.
I limp, partly from pain, partly from weakness.  I cannot rotate my lower leg inward or outward very far without pain.  I have to think about it to lift my leg to get in car or start climbing the stairs.
So...I just had an MRI. It shows mild disc bulge at L5 and small midline disc herniation L4-5.  My chiropractor says this should not be causing my pain.  It also shows a 2cm Thornwaldt cyst on the right at the S2 level.. (I looked up "thornwaldt" and it seems to be in the upper posterior nasopharynx- so what does that have to do with my S2?)  Anyway, I have a 2 cm cyst in the S2 level.  I found this 'community' and found it interesting.
One thing  my chiropractor is working on is the possiblity that my sacrum and pelvic area is 'twisted' a bit.  She and a massage therapist have both commented on this.  As we work on it over the  next week I'll keep you informed if it helps my pain or my weakness, thus limp.
Hi there!

I would agree that the spinal issues are unlikely to be related to the symptoms located in the hip/ knee. Possible causes of hip pain include infections/ inflammations, bursitis, tendonitis, arthritis, capsulitis, ligament/ tendon tears, growths/ tumours, nerve impingement, avascular necrosis, fractures, dislocations, etc. Hip pain may also cause referred pain to the knee or the knee pain could occur due to unrelated causes as well. All of these may not be visible of the x-ray and further evaluation may be required. I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. Meanwhile you may try some tylenol/ OTC NSAIDS and see if these are helpful for pain relief.
Hope this helps.

Take care!