Back & Neck Community
laminotomy and disectomy L1-S5

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

laminotomy and disectomy L1-S5

I had this done 6 months ago, I could not sleep for more than 5 hours, or get up from chairs without help. after the surgery I felt fine, but about a month later and on, I have back pain and a sharp/burning pain on my butt. wtf?
Im also declared 13% disabled, limited to 25lbs lifting, no more running...I used to run 5 miles a day....
Im a heavy duty equipment technician, which means I have to use a lot of strength and be in awkward positions when I do repairs. boss looks at me like he wants to fire me, work comp wants to give me ****** award for my injury, i just want to be fixed... im only 23 years old.......
I also had a herniated disc at the same level that led to surgery. After surgery I was fine for awhile and started having the sciatica problems once again. A mri showed I had scar tissue from my surgery hitting my sciatic nerve causing the same problems I had before the surgery. How long has it been since your surgery? If it hasn't been too long you could still be having some discomfort from the surgery. Have you been back to the doctor to discuss why you are having these pains? I would recommend getting a mri to see what you have going on.
Best of luck!
Brian
Sorry.....I asked you how long it has been since your surgery. (I'm a bit sleep!!) I saw you said it has been 6 months. All I can say is get another mri. If you are still experiencing pain this far out you still have something going on in your back. If you have the sharp shooting pain it sounds like sciatica. Did you have this before surgery? That is usually caused by some sort of pressure hitting your nerve. The longer you wait on this the more damage this can cause to the nerve.
I feel for you man. I was 29 when I hurt my back and haven't been the same since. I'm a boilermaker and also work in some awkward positions while welding. My back cramps up and constantly aches! Just take care of your back the best you can as it's never too late to start. One of the best ways to help your back is by keeping your stomach muscles strong. Also be sure to stretch on a regular basis. We are still young and our backs have to support us for years to come.
I hope you can get to the root cause of your pain. If you have any questions, please let me know. I'll do my best to help you out. I've been dealing with the **** for almost 4 years and have taken many different approaches to find a way to help the pain.