Back & Neck Community
left leg pain following lower back surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

I had L4-5L fusion and spinal stenosis cleanup on 9-7-2012 and have had left hip and knee pain every since surgery. I never had this problem prior to my back surgery, so why do I have it now?
I had a fusion of L4-S1 (May 2010) and I also have left leg issues. It starts in hip, through the groin, crosses through knee, proceeds to the outside of shin and ends at the inside of my ankle. I've gone to several doctors for second opinions and have been told screws to long...nerve damage...but it seems like a guessing game. Who to believe and what is the answer?
I totally feel your pain.
T
I too feel your pain....I had 3 back surgeries with Rods implanted and have since suffered from Sciatica which is very painful and debillitating.

I went back to the doctor and asked him what he could do and he sat me down and told me that he can't do anything, that someday I will be in a wheelchair and to enjoy what I have left for walking, and sitting...

I just looked at him and got up, and told him,
Don't Bet The Rent On That Diagnosis....and I exercise every day, walk every day, through the pain, through the sciatica, through the slowness
and clumsiness.  If its up to me I will NOT be in a wheelchair and have researched everything on the subject that I can find.  Some of the advice does not work and I just go on and look for things that help get this old back through the rest of my life...

Good luck to you and I hope you can find some relief from your pain...

M
Hi there!

Well, without knowing the relevant clinical details or a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include neural compression/ pressure, injuries, inflammation, causes unrelated to the procedure etc. Since it has been a few months since the procedure and the symptoms persist, I would suggest considering a review with your treating orthopedician/ neurologist for a detailed evaluation. After a specific cause is identified, it can be managed accordingly.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!