Back & Neck Community
mri results L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

mri results L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1

Hello i have just got the results from a MRI and wonderd if anyonecould explain them to me please.
The report
There is normal vertebral alignment and preservation of the vertebral body heights. There is loss of height with degeneration dehydration of the L5/S1 disc. The conus medullaries is at its normal physiological level.

At the L3/4 level, there is a bilateral facet joint hypertrophy without any central canal or foraminal stenosis. There is no impingement of the exiting nerve roots.

At the L4/5 level, there is a poterior disc bulge with bilateral facet joint hypertrophy without any central canal or foraminal stenosis. There is no impingement of the exiting nerve roots.

At the L5/S1 level, there is a left posterolateral disc protrusion, which herniates superiorly  behind the body of L5 vertebra causing effacement of the left S1 nerve root with possible irritation. There is bilateral facet joint hypertrophy without any impingement of the exiting L5 nerve roots.

I have been have pain in my back for the past six years, only in the last year has it become worst as it is now in my left hip and down my left leg. I have just started getting pain in my left shoulder and down my left arm- does the MRI explain this pain?
Any help would be great thankyou