Back & Neck Community
mri scans and neck pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

mri scans and neck pain

Hi, I have recently had an MRI of my cervical spine as I have been suffering from head, face and neck pain and muscle spasms for the past 5 years. The results said that my spine is fine, but there is loss of normal extension, which probably reflects my muscle spasms.
I asked my Dr If it is possible that I have a pulled muscle in my neck and she said yes it is possible and that I needed to have some physiotherapy, but the scan did not show this so now I am confused as to what the MRI scan shows. Does this mean that an MRI scan of the cervical spine does not show muscle damage or is it that it does show muscle, tendon or connective tissue tears, but does not show if a muscle is pulled?
Would the MRI show if there is any damage to the muscles, tendons and connective tissue of the neck or does it only show if there are problems with the cervical spine?
The reason I ask is that I am still getting neck and all over body pain and muscle spasms and a feeling of dizziness like my spine is rotating round and around counter clockwise. My hearing is also going a bit funny and I keep getting damp sensations as if fluid is running down my spine and around my face and head, plus tension around my sub-occipital region, which seems to run from there around my head to my eyes (as if I have a tight band around my head) -- and yet my MRI scan says, to use my Drs exact words, "you have the neck of an athlete".
Would the MRI show if I have pulled the sub-occipital muscles?
Also I have read that torn fascia and microscopic scar tissue do not show up on mri scans, is this true?