muscular spasm in neck (torticollis or scoliosis)
My daughter is 6.5 yrs old. A muscular spasm started appearing on the left side of her neck at the age of 4+. We were advised physical therapy at home which included massage and stretching exercises. Initially it seemed to be effective as the spasm became less visible. However, now it has reappeared even though physical therapy is still being given. Her left shoulder is also now slightly raised than the right one, her face also seems slightly stretched towards the left side. Doctors now suggest she might have scoliosis.

We are confused how to know for sure if it's torticollis or scoliosis?? What's the treatment for scoliosis? And would she be able to lead a normal healthy life incase scoliosis is confirmed??

Thank you for your help and time.
Anxious mother.
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to comment specifically on the situation. This could be both a case of torticollis and scoliosis, while nerve injuries and skeletal structural defects may need to be considered as well. Management of scoliosis would depend on the severity of the condition. While conservative management with braces is usually suggested for mild cases, surgical options may be considered for severe or progressive cases. I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician or a neurologist for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!