Back & Neck Community
neck pain with pain down sholder, arm amd hand

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

I have had problems for years following being hit by a car latest MRI shows
C-2,3,4,5,6,7, T-1  3 mm posterior annular bulge causing mild central canal stenosis
decreased hydration
C-3/4 right uncinate hypertrophy causing mild neural foraminal stenosis
C4/5 right uncinate hypertrophy causing mild bilateral foraminal stenosis
C5/6 Disc desiccation with mildly reduced height bilateral uncinate hypertrophy causing severe bilateral neural foraminal stenosis
C6/7 Disc desiccation with mildly reduced height bilateral uncinate hypertrophy causing bilateral neural foraminal stenosis
T-1 bilateral uncinate hypertrophy causing mild bilteral foraminal stenosis no central canal stenosis
I am 54 years old severe neck pain shooting down my left arm and sholder burning pain in lower arm and hand with numbing in finger and burning pain in back of hand scheduled to see Nuro Surgen scared to deth about surgery has anyone had this type of surgery or know what kind it is  recovery dangers? help I have had hand cramping and  weakness for years recent finger tingling  had carpel tunnel surgery on right wrist with no results  I havent worked since 2008 and symptoms have gotten worse
I take time release Morphine and 4mg Morphine 4x day and still in severe pain just finnished steroid pack with some help   ~ thank you for your help~
Hi there!

Well, the MRI described degenerative changes along the cervical spine; while mostly it is mild-moderate, at C5/ C6 level it is associated with severe narrowing of the spaces that carry the spinal nerves and possible neural compression. Management in such cases largely involved surgical decompression with relief of pressure from the neural structures and is successful in a large majority. It would be best to discuss the situation, the suggested management plan and the expected prognosis in detail with your treating neurosurgeon.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
I would suggest you undergo physical therapy treatment.

Physical therapy might include gentle cervical traction to reduce pressure on the nerve roots, exercises to strengthen the neck muscles for stability and to correct postural fault, and other modalities to reduce pain and spasm of the neck.
Hi there!

Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Thank you for your help
thank you for your help surgery has me concerned