Back & Neck Community
neck pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

neck pain

Hi i have been having a CONSTANT dull ache in my neck and have recentley been diagonsed with anxiety and post natal depression, not taking anything for it... YET but want to know is the neck pain a usual symptom of anxiety??  i have been to the chiro and it has made it worse!! any help would be great!!
Anxiety can contribute to a whole host of symptoms, including muscle tension in the neck.  The posture of the neck (for example, do you like me, have a forward thrust to your neck?) can cause pain also.  I'm sorry the chiro made it worse!  Have they taken any pictures of your neck to see if the discs, etc. are alright?  If not, with a dull ache, I hope someone will do that!

I hope on a temporary basis, you can find something to help with your emotional distress during this post natal period so you might feel better.  If you haven't gotten treatment yet because you don't like the un-naturalness of prescribed medications because of too many side effects, you might first try natural things and see if they help.  

Things like Sam-E (Naturemade brand) proven to help with mood, enteric coated fish oil or flaxseed oil capsules for their mood boosting omega fatty acid content (also good for inflammation), valerian root if you are too stressed to sleep (over the counter bottle has instructions), exercise to get those endorphines going, laughing to get those endorphines going, hugging your loved ones to get those endorphines going, having someone watch the baby while you relax in the tub, go outside and drink in God's creation beauty, listen to soothing music, breathe deeply for short periods, letting in plenty of oxygen to your body, and perhaps eat food rich with tryptophans to help you relax.

And of course, if you are a Christian, I hope you can find those quiet moments when the baby is sleeping to find nourishment for your soul in the Word and prayer, rolling those cares off your shoulders onto God's, the One Who comforts the depressed.