Back & Neck Community
neck pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

neck pain

the lower center of my neck hurts really bad and when i bend it down looking at my feet its worse an when pressed a unpone to i can feel like cords there that move an hurt very bad. i have had neck prombles for a couple of years but on my right side only. now its worsen an causing more pain an prombles can you please help.
Hi!
If there is tenderness on pressing the neck from outside, then this could be due to spinal nerve compression, inflamed sternocleidomastoid muscle as in TMJ, swollen lymph nodes if you can feel a mass, an abscess if you can feel a mass, a clot in the carotid artery or due to a muscle pull. Since the pain is in center, it is more likely to be due to wrong posture resulting in pinched nerves.
A MRI of the cervical spine and nerve conduction studies may be required. If your neck MRI is clear then the pain could be referred to the neck due to spinal problems of the upper back, or it could be due to tight neck muscles, or due to stress and anxiety or due to clots in the carotid artery. Hence you can get a MRI of the upper back spine and a dopplar study of the carotids. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined.
Meanwhile use a hard bed to sleep. Avoid a pillow. Roll a towel and place it under your neck while sleeping on the back and between head and shoulder when lying on the side. Initially this will be uncomfortable but with time the acupressure will work. Use an analgesic cream or spray. Anti-inflammatory drugs help. Also, you must improve your posture while sitting and working. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.