Back & Neck Community
neck,shoulder and arm pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

neck,shoulder and arm pain

I have pain in my neck, right shoulder blade area and my right arm. The pain is different depending on what I am doing. When lowering my head to get in my car or just moving up and down, the pain is in my neck. Sitting in bed it is in my shoulder and arm and sometimes my arm will have a slight numbing sensation. Coughing and sneezing, there is shooting pains through all three. Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this? To ease the pain where it is tolerable, I must take 1000mg of ibuprofen. I have been to my doctor once already and I don't think he took me to seriously about the pain and just said I probably had a pulled muscle. None of my muscles in these areas are sensitive to the touch, it feels more like it is my bones.
Your symptoms could be related to possible disc problems in your cervical spine.  The doctor who examined you did not go the extra mile ---
I have little respect for medical practitioners who dismiss patient complaints without fully investigating their symptoms.
It would be beneficial for you to have another opinion and get x-rays of your cervical spine.  It may be necessary to get an MRI to assess any possible nerve involvement which would be causing the burning pain in your shoulder and the numbness in your arm.
These symptoms are typical for disc herniations and degenerative changes in the cervical spine that are causing nerve compression of the spinal nerve roots.
I hope you have the ability to see another doctor ---
Keep us posted on your progress.
I have a  lot of issues and some are exactly what you have described: pain in my neck, right shoulder, and right arm. I agree 100% with kittyluv1 about your doctor and your pain! I also agree that you should see another doctor - probably an orthopedic. An undiagnoised, untreated, disc problem in your cervical area could lead to some major issues. Good luck.
I have pain from my right shoulder running down my right arm into my fingers and thumb. It is a tingly, numb sometimes warm irritating feeling. Like when your arm goes to sleep and the blood has rushed back in only it feels like the blood has not fully come into the arm.

I am currently working with a SELF MASSAGE tool that my husband bought in California many years ago called the MA ROLLER. I believe that this is really helping and I am feeling a little better each day finally. Look up the site for the original roller and check out how you use it.It is about $35 and is made of Rock Maple a very hard wood. It is an amazing and simple tool.

good luck to us all. Candace
I have pain in the neck ,shoulder and arm and numb finger. A the pain hurt so mad. Been to Doctor and ER. med and shot that works for a few days but pain coming right back need help please