Back & Neck Community
nerve pain in leg after spine surgery
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

nerve pain in leg after spine surgery

Hi everyone on 25th Aug 2010 I underwent a L4-5 fusion also i had a titanium cage rods and screws fitted, my lumber 4 had jolted forward causing a compression in the main nerves and i had a fracture, my spine about this was very unstable and i was advised that i would have to have surgery.  after having the operation i woke in such severe pain it was unbelievable, home after 5 days and felt very well but weak, i have to wear a back brace while sitting, walking etc but not laying for at least 3 months, 10days post op i developed a strange sensation in my right foot, then this quickely developed into a sharp, stabbing, unbearable pain in my right leg, im on tramadol 50mg 2, 4 times a day, i cannot stand for longer than 2 mins and find it difficult walking, the surgeon said i have to wait 3 months to heal then he can look at it if its still happening!!! its like a living hell, i can't sleep and wake constantley i have to keep moving my legs to try and relieve it plus i now cant work and have no salary coming in, does any know if i would be intitled to benefit? also has anyone had this surgery followed by this nerve pain and does it go!!!!!!!!!!! Please help Debbie
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi debbie I'm so sorry to hear of ur misfortune!! I had root nerve compression bilateral so before my surgery, I had agonizing nerve damage pain in my legs. 4 weeks after my surgery, my leg pain began comming back. I am now 6 months post op and while the fusion site feels much better, my leg pain remains. I am on gabapentin for this. I will know more in another 6 months how much more my nerves may have regenerated. Take care *hugs*
Blank
Thankyou for your comments, are you also on pain killers? i can't imagine being in this pain for much longer!!! did anyone tell you how long it takes for nerves to regenerate?  i was not informed of any of this, kind regards Debbie
Blank
Hi I went through a L-4, L-5 in january of 09, I came out of it with no use of my right leg at all, I was in a wheel chair for 2-3 months ( and very depressed ) and now it has been almost 2 years, I have about half of the feeling back and learned how to use my right leg again, however I have severe nerve damage, it is hard to sleep and hurts in a weird way to touch the leg. My doctor said to wait up to 3 years and after that point it will be what it is.... In the mean time I have many sleepless nights, and I have really stopped working because I cannot be up and down all day walking around. I refuse the pain pills anymore because I do not want to get "addicted" and I dont want to mask it, I want it to go away!!!  I am kindof at a loss, my surgeon told me he had never heard of this happeneng to anyone before and it was "fluke", however I am now hearing of all of these other people who have gone thru this..... I hope yours gets better!!!!!
Blank
Hi I had third discectomy on my L4, L5 in May this year.  I  was told by neurosurgeon he had never seen anyone who had herniated 3 times in same place.  Well now all same pain back again, and feels just like the disc is out again.  I see neurosurgeon next Tuesday, 2nd November and am not letting him do any more surgery on me cause I,ve had enough.  I will probably end up getting pain injections every 3 months.  My right foot is numb down to the last three toes and ankle and painful.  He said that I would be stuck with that now.  The waiting time her for surgery is months and thats what made me worse.  The nerve in my back has never had a chance to heal.  Hope your recovery is getting better.....
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Back & Neck Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...