Back & Neck Community
nerve pain in leg after spine surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

nerve pain in leg after spine surgery

Hi everyone on 25th Aug 2010 I underwent a L4-5 fusion also i had a titanium cage rods and screws fitted, my lumber 4 had jolted forward causing a compression in the main nerves and i had a fracture, my spine about this was very unstable and i was advised that i would have to have surgery.  after having the operation i woke in such severe pain it was unbelievable, home after 5 days and felt very well but weak, i have to wear a back brace while sitting, walking etc but not laying for at least 3 months, 10days post op i developed a strange sensation in my right foot, then this quickely developed into a sharp, stabbing, unbearable pain in my right leg, im on tramadol 50mg 2, 4 times a day, i cannot stand for longer than 2 mins and find it difficult walking, the surgeon said i have to wait 3 months to heal then he can look at it if its still happening!!! its like a living hell, i can't sleep and wake constantley i have to keep moving my legs to try and relieve it plus i now cant work and have no salary coming in, does any know if i would be intitled to benefit? also has anyone had this surgery followed by this nerve pain and does it go!!!!!!!!!!! Please help Debbie
Hi debbie I'm so sorry to hear of ur misfortune!! I had root nerve compression bilateral so before my surgery, I had agonizing nerve damage pain in my legs. 4 weeks after my surgery, my leg pain began comming back. I am now 6 months post op and while the fusion site feels much better, my leg pain remains. I am on gabapentin for this. I will know more in another 6 months how much more my nerves may have regenerated. Take care *hugs*
Thankyou for your comments, are you also on pain killers? i can't imagine being in this pain for much longer!!! did anyone tell you how long it takes for nerves to regenerate?  i was not informed of any of this, kind regards Debbie
Hi I went through a L-4, L-5 in january of 09, I came out of it with no use of my right leg at all, I was in a wheel chair for 2-3 months ( and very depressed ) and now it has been almost 2 years, I have about half of the feeling back and learned how to use my right leg again, however I have severe nerve damage, it is hard to sleep and hurts in a weird way to touch the leg. My doctor said to wait up to 3 years and after that point it will be what it is.... In the mean time I have many sleepless nights, and I have really stopped working because I cannot be up and down all day walking around. I refuse the pain pills anymore because I do not want to get "addicted" and I dont want to mask it, I want it to go away!!!  I am kindof at a loss, my surgeon told me he had never heard of this happeneng to anyone before and it was "fluke", however I am now hearing of all of these other people who have gone thru this..... I hope yours gets better!!!!!
Hi I had third discectomy on my L4, L5 in May this year.  I  was told by neurosurgeon he had never seen anyone who had herniated 3 times in same place.  Well now all same pain back again, and feels just like the disc is out again.  I see neurosurgeon next Tuesday, 2nd November and am not letting him do any more surgery on me cause I,ve had enough.  I will probably end up getting pain injections every 3 months.  My right foot is numb down to the last three toes and ankle and painful.  He said that I would be stuck with that now.  The waiting time her for surgery is months and thats what made me worse.  The nerve in my back has never had a chance to heal.  Hope your recovery is getting better.....