numbness in right thumb
I had this problem of numbness 3 months ago, in my right hand thumb tip and index finger tip. I underwent traction, had NSAID  for inflammation, and   wearing neck collar .The pain is back after2 months , with pressure under thumbnail.and numbness in right thumb tip and index finger tip., though i am doing the neck exercise as advised by neurologist, pl help me, i am worried.
The ulnar nerve originates in the cervical (neck) spine and runs down the inside of your arm to the thumb and index finger.  It is entirely possible (Remember, I'm not a doctor this is just a thought) that the nerve is being pinched or touched by something between the neck and hand that is irritating it and causing your symptoms.  Definately consult the doc again.
yes i consulted my doctor . he ruled out surgical procedure for numbness or pain Has given me NSAID for 3 months(?), one tablet per day.he says i can take  medicine for avoiding  blood clot and numbness
. H e says as long as the numbness doent affect daily routine work, why worry?I hope regular exercise for neck will help me overcome the problem.
thank you for the information, ratty randy!
I have exactly the same problem...mri showed stenosis at femora c6-c7.. opening in spine that allows nerve to pass through to shoulder..going for epidural injection today...exercise and traction have not helped...I have been a gym rat for 12 years..if the injections don't work my next stop is the spine clinic...also problem is associated with weakness in the right side..good luck
I don't want to scare you, but as soon as I read your post, my father came to mind! He had the very same problem. He had every test run on him from a stroke to lung cancer, but nothing! He started to get worse and worse. After a year went by, he was bed ridden, skin and bones, falling apart before my eyes! Finally, one day a doctor who actually knew what he was doing diagnosed my dad with lymphoma!! They were going to start chemo on him the next day, but he passed away that very day. He was in perfect health until his thumb went numb for no reason whatsoever! I just wanted you to be aware of the fact that if your doctor cannot find anything wrong with your nerves or muscles, please mention my story to him! Good luck, and God bless!
That's an outrageous post above and you really should just ignore it.  A numb thumb is merely pressure on a nerve - probably the ulnar - and it can be trapped somewhere in the arm (sometimes the elbow, sometimes further up).  Physiotherapy and anti-inflammatories often do the trick - if not, a simple operation can free the nerve.  

Best of luck and do tell your GP that you would be happier to have the problem sorted out sooner rather than later.
How could you say that my post was outrageous?? Would you think it was outrageous if it was YOUR father who passed away? I am just trying to warn people that something as simple as a numb thumb may not be that simple, that is all. And I did say that chances are a numb thumb would not turn out to be cancer, but if I didn't post my father's story and it turned out that a numb thumb WAS cancer, then by God, I am glad that I posted my comments!
Among many things that can cause extremity numbness, there is Sjogrens Syndrome, connective tissue disease, infections, neuropathy caused by medications, diabetes, and I saved this for you....Primary Lymphoma of the Spinal Cord......Just thought you would like to know.