Back & Neck Community
pain between shoulder blades

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

pain between shoulder blades

Last week my left shoulder began hurting with pain radiating down left arm with weakness, pain remained for several days, now the pain has moved between shoulder blades, base of neck & right shoulder/arm. It seems as if its moving, pain increases when I cough. I have never experienced pain like this and I am a bit concerned. I normally have a very high pain tolerance. I have been under an unusual amount of stress; I wondering if this may be the cause. If you have any insight I would appreciate it
Tags: Pain, Neck, stress, Work
could be spasm of the rhonboids/other posterior scapular stabilizers due to rounded posture-- as in people on the computer alot...
Yoou may want to rule out any heart problems with the symptoms that you are describing, even though the pain should not increase with coughing if it is truely cardiac
i had similar pain but down the right side, wound up being herniated c6/c7 disc which i just had replaced 3 weeks ago.  May want to see an orthopedic if it consists
  Try something as simple as massage. I had extreme pain that moved around  between shoudlers, each shoulder, elbows, and neck. It ended up being my posture at my computer, and holding stress in my neck and shoulders. A massage therapist found I had huge muscle knots in those areas and when she was able to work those out my pain went away. It's a chronic condition for me so I keep the shoulders and neck massaged and free of knots,(I've learned to do it myself now) I don't spend alot of time on my computer without breaks and stretching and I've changed my computer chair and made sure my keyboard height fits me. In the interim try some over the counter muscle rub, (be careful of capasasin.  It's great stuff but it reacts to hot so showers are a real problem and you have to remove it with vegetable oil. I burned myself bad by using it one night and showering the next morning.. If you use it make sure you follow the instructions completely) I use BenGay(not the orderless, it doesn't seem to work as well for me,, but you've got to put up with the smell), also if you use the generic BenGay make sure you're not comprising on active ingredients.  there are good generics out there but usually when you try to save a little money you do get what you pay for. I bought a generic and it didn't work and I discovered it had less active ingredients than what I'd been using.   Good luck hopes this helps
check out www.atosa.org  it saved me from a useless surgery