Back & Neck Community
pain feeling like a sunburn in back neck and scalp

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

my husband has had an onset of pain feeling like a sunburn about 4 days ago he thought his back was out so went to be ajusted this did not help in anyway as the days have gone by its went from bad to worse it is now so bad that even the smallest touch hurts him very badly he can not lay down to sleep at night as the sheets touching his back hurts to bad its gotten to the point that even his shirt resting on his back is almost to much for him the burning has moved into his neck and up into his scalp i have taken to him to our local emergency room and the doctor has no answers he told him to take benadryl this has done nothing to help he has also tried pain meds with no releaf any ideas of things we could try or test we could ask to have run would be a big help thank you
Wow that sounds terrible. Were the doctors  thinking allergic reaction, suggesting the benadryl? Sounds like some type of nerve pain, I'm sure they must have considered Shingles. Didn't the Chiropractor have any thoughts?

You can get nerve pain in your Neck, scalp and upper back, from neck problems, but it wouldn't cause symptoms any lower than that. Pain meds aren't general that effective on this kind of pain, he needs something specifically for nerve pain. Problem is I don't know of anything OTC.
I hope they gave you a referral to see someone. Sounds like a Neurologist might help.
It sounds like somethings going on with his nerves. Have you heard about fibromyalgia? It's more common in women, but men could be affected by it as well. He should definitely go in to see a doctor if it doesn't go away. I've had this sensation over my whole body before and they described it as my nerves being hypersensitive.
Hope he feels better.
iam not sure how you spell it but i have fibermagela an when mne gets bad my skin gets warm its from the inflamation (inflammation) try some mortion i hope he feels better