BACK & NECK
COMMUNITY
pain over left shoulder blade when breathing
by ashlee22, Jan 09, 2008
For about 4 days I have had severe pain over my left shoulder blade when I take a deep breath, yawn, laugh, etc.. This is a sharp shooting pain which also gets worse with any movement. It also hurts extremely bad to lay down in any position, but especially on my left side or back.  This pain is about a 6 on a scale of 1-10. If any one can help me figure out what this is or how to deal with it,I would greatly appreciate it. I have not been able to sleep much since this started. I am also about 3  months pregnant, so am limited on the medications I can take. Thank you for your time.
Member Comments (13)
by mwood6987, Mar 14, 2008
I am having the same pain in my right shoulder blade when I breath deeply or any normal breath.  It is very painful and very difficult to focus.  I am not pregnant, and I do Tai Chi which is a breathing exercise, and have been doing it for 6 months, so chances of "not enough exercise" are out.  I'm not sure what exactly to do to ease the pain.  Do I just go to the ER? or let it ride out a day or so just to see?
by ADSF, Mar 14, 2008
I think you need to go to the doctor asap.   My husband had similar symptoms when he has had a collasped lung, also called pneumothorax.  Pregnant or not, if it hurts when you breathe, you need to check out the lungs.  
by manpt, Mar 24, 2008
If the doctor says he can't find anything, you should see a physical therapist for spinal mobilization. It sounds very much like you may have a joint that slipped out of its neutral position in your thoracic spine or rib joint. This can be quite fixable, but a doctor  should see you first to rule out lung/diaphragm problems. DO NOT see a chiropractor if you're pregnant or nursing. If they adjust you you could have serious damage. All the best.
by alexpgreene, Mar 24, 2008
I have been for weeks having similar problems shoulder pain / upper back pain the left side when breathing, especially sneezing lately its getting worse and aching all the time. I am not pregnant but have had 2 children. Mine i dont feel can be lack of exercise as im always on the move. Im going to book to see my gp 2moro but im very worried what it can be.
Any ideas, ive never experienced pain like when i sneeze in my left shoulder blade / left side upper back, it almost results me to tears now its been weeks / months i have been putting up with it cos my family say its from holding my baby??

any advice?
by jackielyn, Apr 23, 2008
Just today I started having severe pain in my left shoulder blade when I take a deep breath. I have no idea why it's happening. For the last few days I've had really bad allergies. I wonder if this could be from sneezing so much? Bronchitis has been going around too, but the pain isn't near the breast bone. I came online to find if there was anything pertaining to this and I found this forum. Any advice?
by b4dboy, Dec 24, 2009
Today is 24th Dec 2009, and two days ago i developed the same symptoms as described, Pain in left shoulder when breathing. I have a good bill of health and workout regularly and do not suffer from shortness of breath only the pain in the left shoulder which is currently a 3-4 out 10 (so bearable).

I just put it down to indegestion and it started on my left side and lasted for a couple of hours while i slept and now its only in my left shoulder. I thought i'd let it ride out a couple of days or get worse before i go to see a doctor.

Any idea's from any professionals?

Nick
by kimmykimko, Jun 01, 2010
I have a pain like when u eat or swallow and it goes down the wrong pipe, under my left shoulderblade near the spine. Its is constricting and feels like a deep tissue cramp. I just keep stretching and trying to work it out, but its not going anywhere. it does hurt a little more when I breathe, especially deep breathing. I feel like i have a crick in my neck but its in that spot of my back. this started totally suddenly yesterday morning. IDK what to do. im trying to let it ride out, hoping its just a cramp or something little. but i'm getting worried. I need some good sugestions as to what it could be.
by kathy1978, Sep 15, 2010
I suffered pain for months, in my left shoulder blade and chest....when ever i breathed in...sharp shooting pain, hurt to lie down, lie on left...etc...after months and months of being told it was anxiety or muscular/nerve etc....i was eventually diagnosed with Mediastinal Non-Hogkins Lymphoma....a huge tumour crushed my left lung! I had blood clots on my lung and fluid too...all resulted in 6 months chemotherapy and radiotherapy....

So dont take pain to chest or back lightly....go see your GP and ask for tests/scans/xrays!! And if it turns out to be nothing, then youve nothing to worry about :-))
by Cece_Pie, Jul 04, 2011
Hello Everyone,
These last two days I have had a really painful left shoulder 5-7 (out of 10) most of the day. It hurts most when I lay down or even when I sitting on the couch with my back against the back. It also hurts when I take a deep breathe in, not really too much when I breathe out. I haven't seen a doctor coz I believe they're not very helpful. I have been to them for digestive problems and they me I'm fine even though I get 8 out of 10 pains in my stomach/intestines. Any ways I really want to know what is wrong with my shoulder coz I'm really worried. I thought it might be a blood clot, or something to do with my heart coz its in my LEFT shoulder.
I'm only 17, not over weight or that unhealthy, although I'm not as active as I would like to be. Oh I almost forgot to mention that last week before I got a sore shoulder, I was at a sleep over and I woke up and crunched/squashed something in my neck, so that I couldn't move my head to the right at all...it was very painful and I had to keep my head on a slight left angle for it not to hurt, only after my neck was getting better that the sore shoulder came on....so I'm hoping that my shoulder has something to do with my neck??

Well thank you very much for reading my post here.
Please tell me what you think I should do?