pain under shoulder blade
I have recently been plagued by pain in my neck...literally.  I woke up one morning with a stiff neck and with more studying, I found the pain to be behind my right shoulder blade.  I have tried many things.  My doctor gave me some muscle relaxers in an attempt to make the muscle relieve it's tension.  Also I have used a muscle stimulant on it...it's a device that stimulates the muscle with electrical impulses that "work" the muscle.  Tried about everything, but to no avail.  I seem to be getting pain when I move my neck, and also when I hit bumps in the road while driving. The pain seems to be localized in that "bump" or "knot" in that muscle underneath my shoulder blade, but now the pain seems to "shoot" down my arm....feeling like it moves down the ulnar (tommy john surgery) ligament.  I have thrown my arm out when I was younger, and do need to get this sugery...but that is a whole other situation as I don't play sports anymore.  I am needing to know if this is something that I should get checked out or is it a muscle that is "locked" up and just needs time.  Thanks for your time and consideration.
i have chronic pain and tension in the rhomboid (the muscle right near the shoulder blade) and neck pain as well.  the cause of both is a herniated cervical disc.  have you had a MRI?  sorry i cant offer you much in the way of treatment suggestions other than massage, ice, otc pain meds and topical pain meds (icy-hot)...i've had this problem for about 2 years and some days are much worse than others.  
I have similar problems as kkbackprob.  I have a sharp pain under my left scapula bone.  A little medical info.  I'm 27, left handed, flat foot, average weight/height, office job, workout 3-4 times a week no health problems.  

My problem only happens if I go on the elliptical or treadmill for more then 20 minutes or if I stand or walk for longer then an hour.  It only affects my left shoulder.  It's a very sharp pain and that gets lessened if massage.  I use to play alot of raquetball 4-6 years back.
you need to strengthen these rhomboid muscles
hey kk< i have had the same problem for quite a few years...choked it up too knots from heavy training.  Saw multiple massage therapists over that time,,,,until one day (april 2007)i was doing a very complex abdominal exercise and had a shot of pain down my right arm.  I am 28 years old and been a serious athlete all my life. I went to the doc, had x-ray, then mri,,,results showed herniated c6/c7 and bulging C4-5, C5-6,,,,i had severe pain down the arm, and hand, numbness throughout and muscle atrophy in the tricep, forearm, and pec (all right side)....had surgery on 9-26-07, to remove c6/c7 and repalced with cadeavor bone and reinfored with titanium plate.  was out of hospital a day later and am now in Disney world with my wife and weaning off of hard collar  Not in much pain, a bit of discomfort but all things considered I feel well.  fingers are still numb, tricep is improving and I am able to flex my pec a gain (havent been able to since April)  

So to answer your inquiry, I would investigate herniated discs because it sounds EXACTLY like what i had
check out www.atosa.org   you might have thoracic outlet syndrome
sounds like what I had, herniated discs. I'm also a fitness athlete, and had the atrophy in left pec, and trycep. the pain is gone now, but cant re-gain strength. Its been about a year now, and think its time for sergery.