Back & Neck Community
piriformis syndrome

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

piriformis syndrome

I was diagnosed with piriformis syndrome in 10/04 after 8 months of pain.  I have had botox injections, SI injections, physical therapy and was told because of chronic health problems - fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, essential tremor that I was not a candidate for surgery.   I sat and did medical transcription for 13 years, which the doctor believes caused the problem.  What are my options - the pain is terrible.  I take tramadol and sometimes Tylenol and ibuprofen.  I am 55 years old and weigh 145 pounds and am 5'5".  I have very tight muscles.   I also take Lyrica as a muscle relaxer.
HI Deb. If you can't have surgery, then your options are quite limited. Have you tried a chiropractor? By the way, Lyrica is a seizure medication used for pain & fibro. It is not a muscle relaxant.

There is a piriformis syndrome support group at

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/piriformissyndrome/

They are doing a survey of treatment results. The purpose of the survey is to gather patient's experiences with various treatments (medical & alternative) and the long term outcomes of the treatments. Please help them find the best & worst treatments for Piriformis Syndrome (PS), as rated by patients themselves! Results will be posted at their
website in March.

Take the survey here
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=mrq5t2Fw1OonnPqfmBTx4Q_3d_3d

there is a surgery to remove the piriformis muscle.I am having dr. henry bohlman in cleveland remove mine in July. Good luck to you.
denise