Back & Neck Community
post herniated disc surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

post herniated disc surgery

i had surgery for a herniated disc on nov. 1 2007, i had a awful first 2 weeks after the surgery. after that point i started SLOWLY improving. Now i am back to work doing light duties. 3 days ago i woke up and had very bad lower back pain into my butt, and some spotting pain in my leg.....similar to the pain before my surgery, now ever since that i have been waking up with the same sypmtoms. the doctor said after my surgery he thought i had a lot of muscle swelling and nerve damage, but about 3-4 weeks after my surgery i had almost no pain. has anyone ever had the same thing happen im just hoping i am not back where i started before the surgery!
  I hate to say but my surgery did not take any of the pain out of my legs, hips or butt.    Take it slow, it took me almost a full year to fully recover but still do have the leg pain.  Sorry.  I hope you feel better soon, and maybe it is swelling.
thanks for the response, it would not be so bad if i hadnt done so well for about 2weeks i had hardly any pain at all. good luck to you too, i think this back stuff is just something we have to learn to live with. thanks again
I had surgery in May and I am still having trouble. For the first few months everything seemed to be getting better.But then the pain started to come back. I started having a lot of pain in Oct. and started physical therapy again but it just got worse. My therapist seems to think I herniated my disc again. I go back to my surgeon on the 2nd to see what he has to say. I hope things get better for you. I have been dealing with this for almost a year now and it is wearing me out.   Take care...Tammi
thanks for your response, it just helps sometimes just to know that it is all not just in my head and that there are other people who are having the same problem. my mri post surgery showed a little reherniation but he didnt think it looked to bad, he just wanted to give it a little time, and i did get better directly after that, but now it is hurting again. i hope that you dont have to have it done over again. i do feel  your pain i guess all we can do is hope and pray that we wlll slowly improve.good luck at the doc!