Back & Neck Community
post laminectomy pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

post laminectomy pain

I am almost 50 years old.  Had L5 S1 laminectomy almost one year ago. Annular tear, mild dis bulge and bone spur on nerve root. Was pain free for about two weeks then all the pain gradually started coming back.

I have been on almost every med imaginable and epidural injections, minimal relief.   sitting is unbearable, sleeping without medications would be impossible.

I am told they think its scar tissue.  In my mind of all the meds to calm the nerve and bring down the swelling have not worked "something" is still causing compression to the nerve.  I do not want to be doomed to this quality of life.  I sit off and on and a fitness ball, I have tried every prop for my chair nothing keeps me from getting the pain while sitting.  Riding in the car is painful.

Not that I want another surgery but if that is what it takes?  then I will do it.  My surgeon has pretty much given up on me just more prednisone and lyrica which don't work.  My physicatrist is great but we are running out of options.

I am considering seeing another spine surgeon. Any opinions on what could be the problem and is re openining my back worh it?  

thanks
yes you might want to find another doctor.  I think your current doctor should be doing diagnostic test to see what is going on. If not then change doctors.  I have the disc bulge, spinal stenosis and osteoarthritis. Sitting is hard for me too.  Driving is aweful. so you have my empathy on that. I sure hope you can get some relief soon.. Keep us posted okay and best of luck to you.  Soft hugz...........
I am doing just that.  I am waiting to see another spine surgeon.  I had 2 cervical fusions and two different times with this surgeon.  I was shocked when he only did one level at the first surgery.  I never got better.  I kept telling them something is wrong.  After a year when I got to the point of spasms and numbness did they do another surgery, wow I felt great.  Now here I am again.  I work for orthopaedics I know my body well and I tell them something is wrong, this is not normal.

Did you have surgery?

thanks for the hug,this whole thing brings me to tears.  I am worn out emotionally.
I am assuming you are a Chiropractor.  I have a lot of fear of chriopractors.  If there is a pinched nerve one wrong move could be a disaster.  I tried a chriopractor when I first had symptoms in my back.  Insurance only allows so many treatments and then you are cut off and frankly my pocket book doesn't run that deep.  If orthopaedic surgeongs agreed on this treatment I would certainly give it a shot but the two practices do not approve of each other putting the patient in a touch spot as who to belief.  Bur appreciate your time.
How are you doing. No I've not had surgery yet, but waiting for insurace to give me approval for discectomy procedure.  Hope your doing better!  Sorry it took me awhile to get back with you.  My left leg went numb from the knee on down last night and that's not good! I'm hopeing to put off laminectomy and fusion. My stenosis is moderate  I've found a chronic pain psychologist and that's helping me some. Have you looked into hypnosis for pain, it's something new thats being done for fibromyalgia, I might look into that later.
Soft hugz to you and lots of well wishes.........    
I am probably facing a re laminectomy and a fusion.  It appears that the disc at my laminectomy site has pushed forward.  Each day a new type of pain happens.  I have upper back pain and now tingling in my arms.  Having had cervical fusions in the past this is a conern but I just think my upper back is working overtime to help the lower back as I find my shoulders up to my ears most of the time just trying to stay upright.  I have had several epidurals and they have not worked, even my physicatrist whom i trust with my life says if cymbalta doesn't work this time, we should explore surgery.  I had a second opinion with a spine surgeon and he was the one that was concerned with the bulge at the surgical site, which on EMG was the error or problem.

I wish hypnosis would work or acupuncture but i have to face it anatomically something is wrong and I am scared this time.  Living with chronic pain as you know is hell but i want it over with.

As for you numbness and tingling long term can cause nerve damage that even after surgery doesn't go way.  So at some point depending on your pain level and quality of life you may need to bite the bullet and just do it.  Pain relief is something I dream of...............

Keep me posted on your progress I really hope you can beat this thing without surgery :)