Back & Neck Community
post-op infec. following lumbar laminectomy & fusion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

I had  a Lumbar Laminectomy & Fusion of my L4-L5 & L5-S for Spinal Stenosis on 10/31/12. Following successful surgery, approx. 2 weeks later developed increased pain with reddened areas along the entire length of the incision site. I then developed pussed filled blisters along the reddened site. This whole area from the beginning of the incision site to the incision ending in the S1 (slightly lower) had blisters that were painful and popped with puss had to be bandaged daily along with several rounds of vancomycin and now i am finishing my 3rd round of 10 days each of Cipro 750mg 2xs day (this will be 30 days of Cipro)!!  I'm also nauseated due to the Cipro, and take Zofran 4mg before every meal and at bedtime. I have only had 3 low grade fevers. As of 12/14/12, the horrible pain continues and I receive Oxycodone 5mg (2 tablets) every 8 hrs. as a scheduled med. I can also get 5mg every 4 hrs as needed for the pain. The lower part of my back and the L4-L5 & L5-S1 are unbearable, and I cannot lay on my back, so, I have to sleep on either side of my back with a pillow between my legs & behind my back. There is still serous drainage and some bloody drainage as well along the L4-L5, L5-S1 (and betweein my butt crack as well - Please Forgive My Anatomical Description As Well). The incision in this area has keloided. HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED THIS OR ANYTHING LIKE THS!!!   Pllease give me some advice regarding what you have experienced and how you treated your problem - no one here can help me with how & why this occored other to say these are puss-filled blisters along the incision line with areas of keloid lesions. I am tired of my clothes getting stains from the blisters popping  the serous and bloody fluid, my Dr telling me to come back in 1 week (unless the symptoms get worse), the blood tests revealing that my ESR & CRP are elevated. Also, to continue with the antibiotics, and depending on what next week looks like, he may have to do surgery to open up and clean out the infected areas. So if anyone has had the same type of problem, or can gime me any information; it would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!  Thanks to all who have read my post, I look forward to you're return posts as well.
Wow this infection sounds very serious. I would really try and get in somewhere for a second opinion or go to the ER to have them take a look at this. You should not have an infection this long. I know with total joint replacements the replacement joint is taken out surgically and the operative site is cleaned out and treated with antibiotics. The hardware is not put back in until that infection is gone. I'm not sure what the protocol would be in your case but I know this is not right!! You should be admitted and at the very least given IV antibiotics. I hope you go in right away. An infection this severe sounding could be life threatening, I wouldn't take any chances, go get checked out please.