Back & Neck Community
post spinal fusion surgery pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Viewing 201-295 comments:
I had an anterior fusion7 Weeks ago and still in alot of pain vac down left leg and sides of birth legs. Will this ever go away?
Hope your recovery goes smoothly =).  I have had a great experience with my spinal fusion.  I am 29f w/ a fusion on a grade 2 L5-S1 slippage w/ fracture.  My surgery was on Nov 3rd and it was the best decision I ever made.  I had an orthopedic surgeon w/ many years experience only on spinal surgeries. Before my surgery I was basically bedbound w/ a lot of pain, using a walker to get up and use the bathroom.  I was in a lot of pain before surgery.  Now, my progress is unbelievable.  I am 6wks post-op and I can walk 2 miles a day. I can stand up and move w/o pain. Some days I am sore more than others but every day is better.  I know a lot of ppl have had unfortunate experiences, but from my perspective it is absolutely worth a shot. I have my life back. Best of luck to everyone.
Read my above post.  My situation may not have been as hard as yours, but it is a little similar in that we are close in age both hoping to have control over a household and have kids.  I am 29f and have a 6mnth old child. I am 6 wks post op from an L5-S1 fusion and I can already hold my child again and in 1yr my Dr. gave me the ok to get pregnant again.  Please give a fusion some serious consideration.  I was afraid too, before the surgery b/c of the horror stories I read all over boards like this. I had a great experience. My surgeon seemed surprised when I told him that I read so many stories.  I have my life back and I'm getting better every day.  Best of luck to you, hope you are able to get the help you need!
I had surgery similar to yours - fusion L4/5 and L5/S1 disc trimmed and put back in place.  That was when I was 29 years ols - I am 45 now.  I have to say the operation was a great success, but after 5 days in hospital I was 5 months in physio learning to walk again.  I combined it will a major weight loss (lost 5 stone), then cycling daily.  I still have ocassions maybe once a year where it is sore and on verge of spasm, but overall it really can work int the long term.  Just need to bare with it.
I had L3 to S1 fusion at the end of August 2011.  I am so happy that the pain before surgery is gone, but unhappy that the muscle pain is so intense.  2 screws are taking their time fusing so I am not able to start physical therapy yet (4 months now).  Cold days are painful, warm days are comfortable, but I feel I pull a new muscle when I try to stand up, sit down, lay down and walk.  My doc is great with communications and told me it could be up to a year before I am fully fused.  I hope it comes quick.
I had some Darvocet I got before the ban and it works great on controlling the pain.  Tylonol 650 helps also but not as quick.  Good luck all.
I know this is a rollercoaster ride for everyone! I hurt my back at work in 96... They wanted to fuse me.... I was 22 with a brand new babygirl... She was 10 pounds. The dr said I could no longer picker up after surg.. So I denied,,,2008 I was down ... Could barely crawl to the restroom. My dr was quick to offer fusion.. I had spondy,aherniated disk and my bones were bone on bone grinding like two cement blocks in an earthquake.. So I got fused...thought I'd be back at the gymnasticnasium and doing things I love in a couple monthes but guess what ... 2012. Still stuck in bed ... Can barely walk with my walker, car rides vibrate the hardware and I wanna die... My dr put me on great meds....100mcg fentanyl patches...soma..neurontin for the nerve pain. And 800 mc fentora for socalled breakthry.... And with all these meds I'm still in a pain I never knew was possible after having kids....and all my tests come back ok too.  Drs tell me that I'll nevr be out of pain this it it I have to accept it and work with it. Now I'm waiting approval for my spinal stim.  That's my last hope for any relief.    If that doesn't work I just dnt know what's next. I have plenty if meds to put myself to SLEEP forever. Then there will be no pain
I suffer with multiple disc herniations due to Ankylosis Spondylosis. I do get accupuncture and it gives me relief. If I am in alot of pain, ie unable to walk well because of the pain it takes 3 accupuncture sessions and Chiropractic to get me back standing straight. After reading all the negative's of surgery, I will continue my regimine of Accupuncture and Chiropractic.
I had two level fusion on nov 2011 L5-S1.  It has not been the most pleasant.  After a year of trying different therapies and experiencing bladder issues both the Dr and I decided it was time.  Now almost 8 weeks after I'm experiencing extreme pain in my legs and feet to the point I that is painful to walk.  On my left leg I feel hip pain and pulling and now my leg is falling asleep and I feel needles in my foot.  Not happy with all this pain.  I'm on Gabapentin for the nerves but it does not seem to be working.  At night I have to sleep with ice on my back and feet because I feel like I'm burning. Had to call my Dr today which said I need to see him tomorrow to run some test and see what is going on.  I suggest if anyone is considering back surgery please ask questions.  Questionss especially related to what happens after the surgery.  I never had this much pain in my legs and feet.  They said it's nerve related however I feel that I should start to feel better not worse.  
Why don't you go to your primary doctor. Tell him you want a MRI or cat scan.this will let you know what is going on. I had a two level fusion one year ago. The levels are l4-l5-s1 the fusion did not take. I am now looking at a revision surgery. I am in pain all the time. This is a horrible way to live. I wish you the best of luck.
I'm sorry your dad is in so much pain. First off you need to get him to a great dr. ASAP. Take him to a teaching hospital or university hospital. Second I would find a good lawyer and bring this dr. To court. He messed up this surgery and that's a fact. I wish you good luck and hope your dad feels better real soon.
2 back surgeries in 2006 and 2007. (Laminectomy, 4 level fusion). Continued pain. Fast forward. 2010 -insertion of morphine pain pump. Over a year later sill in pain. Finally last week went to surgery center for testing. Turns out the catheter from the pain pump had fallen out of my spinal cord. Surgery for reinsertion scheduled for this Friday. Wish me luck. Has anyone out there ever had this happen to them? My pain doctor says it is not uncommon.
I am 47 and had a previous L4-L5 fusion and had L5-S1 fused 3 weeks ago.  My bladder problems immediately went away that I had had for years.  The Surgeon told me the L5-S1 fusion would not help my back pain or Bladder problems, but it did.  He said some peoples nerves are simply routed differently.
do not get surgery -Your life will be Hell--take up acupuncture . massage----Get Close to God --He can Help and learn to get in the Zone----speak to the inner you-- BUT don't have surgery-- you will end up in hosp for the rest of your life.. For god sake don't do it ..
Due to spondylolisthesis which resulted in lumbar scoliosis, and non-operative treatments that could not correct the problem or relieve the pain, I had surgery the end of last August, an XLIF on Monday and a PLIF on Wednesday, fusing T9 down to the sacrum and anchoring the sacrum to the pelvis.  Yes, it was very painful but recovery has been slowly progressing to the point where I could get back to work after 4 months off, surgical pain is diminishing (pain that got me into surgery immediately disappeared, I realized that even though I was heavily drugged for a few days), and I have gradually weaned down pain meds to maybe one Tylenol #3 a day at most.  

I do still take muscle relaxers since physical therapy does stress the area while helping at the same time.  

Did I just have a great surgeon?  I don't understand and would be very upset if I was in the pain many of you are in post-surgery.  I feel awful for you, I know how painful this can be, but at the same time, why did I recover as well as I did (even though to me it feels like forever) and others are having so many problems?  
My husband had back surgery in 2006. This year 2012 he had another MRI which showed he needs another surgery either a fusion or disc replacement he is not in much pain and is wondering weather to have the surgery. Please give some input.
Thank you
my name is manny.i am a 40 year male.let me start off by saying im very sorry for the pain that your father and everyone else around him,including yourself,has had to indure from all of this.three and a half years ago i was injured in a atomobile accident,i have had five surgery,s since.including to fusions from the front of my throat,two other on the back of my neck .in between the two fusions.also one on lower back,i have permanent nerve damage in right arm and still so many other negative symtoms (symptoms).headaches,trouble swallowing,eating,sleeping,spasims,numbness,wierd vibrations threw out my limbs and pain constant.i feel like im going crazy myself sometimes.ive lost alot from all this in my life.time with my two kids that are fifteen n ten in age .they both are very active in sports.financially real bad as you can imagin.if it wasnt for my wife working and taking care of me sometimes,and being such a good mother i would have lost it by now.really wish that i could snap my fingers and help your father and evryone else thats going through the same suffering like us.im only forty years old and i feel your fathers age.sincerly manny martinez
Ihad a lower fusion 2 years ago , And the pain is now far worse now than it was befor I had it done. YOU tell thies doctors and thay look at you like your bullshiting them or something. I cant sit hardly ever instant pain I cant even walk a half of a block becouse of the pain cant life a gallon of milk even, pluss the nerves in my legs drive me nuts and in my arms an hands go numb when I TRY TO SLEEP.. so you tell a doctor this more x- rays and all he says is everything looks good.... Ya ******** ...So now a days I cant do anything any more becouse of the pain.and im on 10 mg codine pluss 60 mg 3 times a day.
More bad press for the fusion. What are some alternatives? I definitely don't want to do it but I definitely need surgery.
I agree with you.  I would never recommend a spinal fusion to anyone.  I had my surgery in Sept 2010, and the pain is so much worse now than before surgery.  A few months ago I had a nerve conduction study done, but they claim that everything was normal.  I have gone from taking lortab, ultram, fentanyl to morphine, lortab, ultram and lyrica.  My surgeon decided that even though my insurance decided a week before surgery that they would no longer pay for, that I should have the surgery without consulting me on it first.  So a few weeks after the surgery I received a bill for over $100,000.  Now I am expected to pay for the whole thing, if I had that kind of money I would have done the surgery before when our previous insurance company denied the surgery.  Never got any PT cause the surgeon refused to see me after my first post op visit cause I could not pay off his portion of the bill.  Now I am stuck with more back pain, extreme leg pain and numbness in both legs instead of just one.  Not to mention being unable to do the things I enjoy.  If I could go back in time I would have made the choice to not have surgery.  They did an ALIF L5-S1 on me after doing a discogram and all the injections that failed.
wow. I had my surgery end of feb. 2012. thought I was gonna be all better in 3-4 weeks. I had 3 discs removed and metal plates screwed in their place. Found out 3 weeks later I had pneumonia. The specialist would not increase my pain pills even though my primary care physician requested it. Since then I still have much pain in the neck and my shoulders and my whole right arm. Also I have had a severe sinus infection since. My Ear Nose and Throat specialist had me go for a CT to see if I need surgery on my sinuses. Meanwhile, I have a checkup with the spinal surgeon today. I hate being in pain constantly and doctors treating me like I am a druggy and not listening to me. It is to the point they have me on Norco 5-325. They are the weakest crap and I am only supposed to take one every 6 hours. Guess what? I am taking 1 every 3 hours and sometimes 2, along with extra strength tylonol, motrin 600s, and whatever else I can get my hands on. my back, my neck my shoulders, my whole right arm are in pain constantly and now because of the sinus infection I get migraines at least 4 times a day. I feel like the doctors don't even care. I feel even worse now knowing so many others are suffering. Yet, at the same time it proves to me that I am not crazy. If so many others are still suffering obviously they are not getting it right. My grampa always said doctors are just "practicing" medicine. He was a wise man. Please pray for me, as I will be praying for all of you.
Mary Ellen
Just read everyones post and hate to be the bearer of bad news. I had a back injury due to work in 2004 afrer two years of phyical therapy work comp decided that I needed to have back surgery so in January of 2006 I had a fusion of L4-L5 am in more pain now than before. I have constant pain in my back, pain in my legs that goes into my bones, muscle spasms so bad that my legs jump,right arm tremors, many more numerous other pains in places that I never had pain. I am now having seizures because of it. I have seen 3 or 4 neurologists not one of them can help the last one told me it was due to stress, had one tell that it was all in my head and that I needed to see a head dr. I told her she needed to get laid. My primary dr is prescribing pain meds for me he told me that this isn't like me and knows that its not in my head. I am taking hydrocodine 10- 500 which is about the highest you can take for that my husband and pretty much eeryone around think I'm a druggie. I can't do anything but lay around because the pain is so bad I can't sleep at night cuz of the arm tremors and I have not worked in 4 years and I had only a 5% chance that the surgery wouldn't work. I have had every test that you could have there are no more test to be done. They don't now what to do with me!!!! I am to the point there are some days that I can't take anymore and wish I was dead but I think about my kids and my new granddaughter on the way. I can't tell you how many times I have fallen down steps and haven't been able to climb up the steps to go to bed. So I can tell you in my case my surgery didn't make things better it made things worse. Continues to do so!
I have had L4, L5 & S1 fusion.  I am still in alot of pain 10 yrs. later.  If you are having pain before and after, I was put on methadone 10 mg. It works on the pain, but is there something else wrong?  I will find out in June 2012.
I just had a consultation with a minimally invasive spinal surgery practice today and really like what I heard. I'll post about it and tell you guys what I learned because I really think it is a great alternative to a fusion!
I think you definitely need another set of diagnostics; at least a lumbar MRI.  I had L4-5, L5-S1 fusions, 1987 & 88, plus a 3rd Sx to remove scar tissues off the scatic nerve root trunk.  Left me in unretractable pain.  I was 26 then, and let me tell you , after 25 years since then of trying evrything alternative, I finally had to take pain meds which I would never do, but pain was/is too bad.  Methadone, oxycodone, ambien, xanax, and swimming laps keep me alive and functional to some degree.  Had one child when married in 1994, and it's been very difficult since I cannot sit or stand more than 5-10 min without severe sciatiac and lumbar pain.  Am  physician assistant but had to stop working due to the pain.  It helps me to know I am not alone.  I have a good pain center DR, thank heavens.  Still, I hate to think of my life on meds that are frowned upon.  Sure wish that would change.  Makes me feel guilty that I take the stuff.  We should all be getting a pat on the back just for getting up to face another day every day.  My advise, find the best pain specialist you can find, and they will take care of you.  If you live in a state where med weed is legal, that is an option as well.  Stretching and non-heavy impact exercise is important too.  The site on my hip where the bone was taken for the fusions hurts quite a lot in rainy weather and the wrong kind of waist band on my jeans.   I have to say that I have been a failed back surgery patient for many years now, and have lost out on all the things I did prior to back injury (paramedic lifting a patient on a stretcher).  It's just plain hard to get through each day-really tough to get out of bed with anywhere near a good state of mind.  Sleep meds don't work after awhile.  I tell my story in case it gives any insight.  This is the condensed version!  Ha!  Happy to give more info on specific stuff.
I had my posterior lumbar L5-S1 March 13,2012..I had been hurting 14 years..before a doctor would do an MRI to see what was wrong..Doctor said I was born with spinal cord not connected to tailbone..I am 40 years old..I am miserable,the numbness,tingling,stinging, and burning are un bearable..I asked for lortab 5 cause I didn't want to be "hooked on meds" well guess what now I cry daily..can't feel my feet and can't feel most of left leg..except when pins needles and burning are happening...I feel useless to my two children 14 and 10..my house is a wreck and I stay depressed or mad???what do I do??
If you can get further south to Maryland.  Check out Maryland Brain and Spine. Annapolis Maryland.  Dr Burke and Dr Sullivan. They are conservative but if you can get them to be candid they sould. give you the srtaight 411.  They are also  in the top of their feild in the U.S.
Or on the west  coast Dr. Micheal F Dillingham,  Redwood city Ca.   Or Dr Richard Berry Davis California.
I had a spinal fusion back in August 18th 2011, and What I have learned from then to now is to walk and exercise, do you abdomanl blow outs (see pt) taper off your drugs for sure, because the drugs sure ruined my life FOREVER>> and then some. As of now I still have pain, still doing the drugs but tapering off as much as I can. I am having so many problems with tapering off and the pain is very bad. Sometimes I wake up with a burning sincination in the left side of my head traveling down through my back, my shoulder, my leg, and testicles. This burning is painful and the pain increases/decreases with each heart beat. That is the best way I can describe it. But you are only 6 weeks after and you could benefit stronly by exercising everyday and tapering of the meds. You could find yourself good in a few months if your surgery was a success.
Hello and thanks for posting your story and what you have been through. I wanted to ask you, how are you getting to sleep at night. I have so much troube getting to sleep, I do not know what to do. I have so much going on as of now and recently placed on a drug called catapress .1mg from my new pain doctor. This has helped with not taking to many pain pills, but the pain does remain and really bad bad pain all the way from my hips radiating up and down my legs and back. Please write back and let me how are you getting to sleep. I am ready to try something neweally ba. Unfortunately, I have had a bad  experience with my pain doctor, I was popped on a drug screen ETG Testing for alcohol. No, I do not drink, I was using Afrin for a cold I had, I was using to much and got a positive on the screen and was discharged. Now, I have finally found a doctor that will agree to help me, but only if I continue through PT. This will be very expensive. Reading your story, I am glad to see that you have a great doctor, but the ones in Louisiana seem like the just do not understand real pain. I am 43 and suffering every day from my surgery. Please write back.
This has helped me understand what might be going on with my back I had L4 &L5 fused about 4&1/2yrs ago.I too was told to get moving the pain was so bad I hurt for weeks!!!! even pilates hurt!.....I finally started Zumba about 1 month ago it puts me down too , but reading whats posted here makes me know that it will get better:)
I say Amen to that! I have tried everything else for nearly 5 yrs ( in 2007 I had fusion of L4 & L5) My husband has had pain in his shoulder for 20 yrs due to an accident,refuses pain killers, so this was his last option He is nearly pain free now after 8 X being treated with accupuncter.I am going this tues. to get started as well.......
Going through the same thing.  Been going on for nearly a year.  I'm 38 and ready to give up.  I hurt so bad I ask people just to shoot me.  Pain pills dont help.  Wish I had better news for you.
I also had a L4-L-5 anterior fusion with a cage 41/2 years ago and my pain just got worse. They said I had pseudoathrothis(it did not fuse). So finally I agreed to a revision. 3 weeks ago they did a posterior fusion with rods. I feel really good some days and I think I overdue it the I am in pain for days but only at incision sites, It feels like something is stabbing me from the inside. Sometinmes my right leg starts jumping around and I can't control it. I don't know what is going on. I sure hope our 2nd surgeries fix us.
Here is just a suggestion.. please find yourself a good physical therapist, tapper off the meds very slow, ask for the medicine catapress .1 mg 3xday. Catapress will help you tapper off the meds. I have had bad pain and taking way to much pain meds for years. but now I feel better not being on  any pain meds because my natural endorphins has taken over. The process is about +6 weeks to do a tapper of 10 percent down every 2 days.
I had a fusion 1 yr ago. The best advice is to stay away from the pain meds. and go to physical therapy asap.
Hi, i am 53 years old, i haven't had had surgery yet, but i am due to meet my neurosurgeon tomorrow to see what he suggests. I have been told before by him that i should have a double spinal fusion (L5-S1). I really need advice/opinions please? I have a bulging disc, which is pressing on my spinal nerve and causing severe stabbing/burning leg pain in my right leg, this cleared up by itself for a year but returned about 4 weeks ago, my back is in a bad state, i have a old fracture @ L1 - one disc has fused by itself, and my back pain is extremely bad. But i am a spinning instructor (spinning and cycling are the only things that keep my going, i can only move after exercise and it sometimes really helps my pain), my surgeon will not answer questions, he simply says if you have the surgery we can talk about it then but how can i decide to have surgery if he won't answer my questions? If i have the sugery will i be able to sit on a bike? Is it going to help my leg and back pain? What would you suggest? I really don't know what to do?!!! I am soo terrified of making the leg and back pain worse! Has any1 had the leg pain disappear on its own?
I am very truly sorry that u r going thru that pain. If I could, I would take that pain on 4u. I am only 46 yrs. old. proved myself n this mans world, injured my back n 1998. surgery n 1999. fussion, L4, L5, S1, I have a cracked sacrum. I fell out of my big trk. backwards and cracked my spine. tech. I should b parylized from the waist down. but by the grace of God, I am walking, 4 now. i have been restricted from driving, working, I can only work 2 hrs. a day. that includes bathing, cooking, doing dishes, cleaning house, ect. .... well, even my elders remind me that im 2 young 2b on ssi/disability.. it makes me cry. but, if i can take somebody eles pain away thru prayer, and keep mine, then so b it. God bless u and keep u under his almighty wings of love.
had fustion of l4 and l5 and six weeks after surgery worse than ever, went to doc. today and he made it sound like I pushed for surgery! Had the discecty first, then fustion fell at a store and hurt back just this last march! tore the spine lining and hernated three disks and cracked one he said no other way then blamed fall on weight! Well you were right dont get the fustion it was the worse mistake I ever made,lining tore again and they put me in hospital for two and a half weeks and my family doc. says when they went in they made the spine lining weak, so now it can happen again! I cant feel when I go pee and the pain is worse now! I have to sell my new lincon because its to low to ground cant bend back right and hard to excuse me wipe my tush!!!!! good call and hope this helps people to not go with surgery on back and no fustion!
hey you are not alone,I had the fustion and it made me worse ,but it might work for you,I would weigh the pros and cons and say can I go on like this and can I understade that it could be more painful with surgery. I know these are big questions for anyone and your husband sounds like he has your back so to speak fill him in and know this is a big deal  Ill pray and I know from expear. that doent seem like much but keep looking up change will happen and get a second opion
to all of the sufferes,my heart goes out to you.I fell from a roof back in 2005 herniating c4 c5 c6 and c7.The pain in my neck was awful.The er dr refered me to my orthopedic surgen who initialy put me on perc 10-325 3 times a day along with 350mg soma.That was all the pain meds he could give me he said.Anyway after a year of waiting for approval from workers comp for the fusioin surgery to be approved he fused 3 levels with no relief.I went for a follow up and told him i was going to kill myself becaus i couldn't live with the pain.He sent me to a phycyatrist who finally prescibed oxycontin 40mg 2x a day along with 2 10-325 pers and 10mg vaium 2x a day.I finally have a little relief.I wish theese doctors would listen better to all of us in real pain.
i had the same thing done in 2001 and pain lasted at least 1 yr, he botched the surgery, i cannot stand straight, i recently fell on my back and am having a very very hard time walking without aid, dont know what to do, Dr did a cat scan and said things look good, but why do I have groin pain to where i need my crutches again? your pain will go away dont be afraid, you should also have every kind of pain meds there are out there my DR did give me everything, untill i was well out of pain it will never go away completley I wanted the surgery to be out of pain because i was on my feet all day as a medical assistant and i thought it would help but it made me loose my job, and am now on medicare, it really makes me angry. good luck and do what they say , go to therapy if need be.
all i can say is i had L-4 L-5 S-1 done and i am hunched over because they bothced the surgery   Check out your Dr carefully, I thought mine was good his whole family is in medicine, but he has been sued many many times for messing peoplel up, then letting you fend for your self. so please make sure you really check him/her out.
I had spinal fusions in lower back in 2000 on the lower lumbar region of my spine.   A bone growth stimulator was used.  One year after the surgery the Dr. said the surgery was a failure.   He looked at an MRI he said  the bone didn't grow back as it should have.  I was still in pain, thinking the pain would go away.  It never did.  The pain has gotten worse.  I have to take pain meds all of the time to cope with the pain.  There is no hope in sight for any kind of relief other than take pain meds.  I've talked to many Drs.  They have lead me to belive the Dr. put in too many fusions.  My back is very stiff and as I have said I am in pain.  I take pain meds I need them just to get through the day.  If I didn't take them I would be bed ridden.  

I seem to be having trouble finding doctors to see, I have been at this so long.  I hear now pain management contracts are being used to eliminate you from seeing doctors.  If you have been asked to leave a clinic.  This could be a real disater a doctor can ask you to leave if he feels like it.  Doctors are not all nice guys!  I sure am learning this.  
How are you doing these days?
I am scheduled for a fusion on 12/712. It is good to read about a success instead of all the failures I am reading about. I have been in severe pain and have had no life due to the pain. I am nervous about the surgery, but anxious to get it over with and move on with my life. Thank you for your post!

T
Aussie I can so relate to your situation.  I pray your doing better and able to play with your Children.  This kind of pain is very debilitating.  I have had Two major Surgeries at L4/L5/S1.  This was the biggest mistake I have ever made in my Life.  And sure there isn't any promise that it could have made me better but I would have never thought I wouldn't be able to go grocery shopping, or shopping with my Daughter.  The pain in my Bottom both cheeks and down both of my legs is like sticking my finger to a 220 volt live wire.  I have had any and all kinds of injections I suppose to many.  They help this last time for two days which they do put me to sleep.  But when your desperate you will try anything and I mean anything.  Nerve Pain will drive you INSANE.  Yes and agree Doctors should be able to experience it.  I wouldn't wish this kind of pain on anyone.  But when a Doctor tell's you it's in your head or there isn't anyway you could be in that much pain yea they need a dose of it.  Then they may take time to listen to their patient's.  I was told by another Doctor about a procedure called RFA and I'm not real sure what all is involved but she told me they can cartarize some Nerve endings.  You should research it,  Me myself would just rather feel nothing from my waist down this is sad but that is how bad the pain is.  But I'm guessing it is a new procedure because I have had six Neuro Doctors, and sadly about eight pain management/Anesthesiology Doctors and you would think a Doctor who specializes in pain would have mentioned it to me. Being these Doctors should have some kind of idea of how to manage pain or atleast make it bareable for patient's but they do not.  So I say yea they need to experience a good dose of NERVE PAIN.  I hope you doing better.
I had L5 S1 surgery 8 weeks ago.  During the times that I still have pain, which is mostly in the morning, the pain feels like menstrual cramps.  I have other pain, but this is the one that perplexes me.   Has anyone else had this or know what it's from?  Thanks
I had TLIF 5 weeks ago they said also that my nerves and muscle were tangled so bad that they did not see how I was able to walk i had been like this since May and I had surgery on Oct 23,2012 I had to do Physcial therapy before the surgery,I am using a walker at this time can not stand with out holding on to something can not ride 4 miles in the car to the Doctor with out server pain and can not sit in a chair more than 10 minutes with out sever pain today my back in the hip area so sore can not touch and inside and outside of the leg area my hips feel like they are going to pop out they hurt so bad I have taken Norco 5-325 and the spasm med and Ice and it has not stopped the pain Please tell me what else I can do I can not even lay in the bed it hurts so bad !
I am 54 years old and have had 3 back surgeries.  The first one was in 1998 and it was for a herniated disc.  That surgery went very well.  Unfortuantely for me I had my own business for 15 years and it entailed a lot of heavy lifting.  Since I have been out of work now for about 6 yrs.  I have had 2 stenosis surgeries in 2007 and 2010.  Still pain.  I have been on a large amount of narcotics for about 5 years.  I take oxycontin, morphine, gabapentin and others to try to stop the pain. My problem now is a doctor said the ony surgery to help me would be to have a fusion from L1 all the way down to S1.  I have now stenosis at L1/L2-L2/L3-L3/L4L4/L5 andL5/S1, narrowing of the spaces between L2/L3 and L3/L4 and proturding discs at multiple levels.  I used to weigh 260 lbs. and now at 205 lbs. but still in pain.  My scitica is bothering me and has since Dec. 2012.  I do not think I will get a fusion with everything I have read and what entails with the recovery process.  Surgery I was told will be 8-10 hours surgery walking the same day, first 5 days to 2 weeks will be the most excruciating pain I have ever had, 3 weeks in rehab and at least a year recovery.  Not something I think I can endure.  I do PT in a pool which helps somewhat, but without all the medicine I take I could not move off the couch which I hve had to sleep on since Dec. 2012. I cannot lie on my stomach ever.  Please if anyone wants to reply please do.  Laser Spine Institute I looked into and have found they are just a money making business.  Read about the founder and how rich he is today after 5 or so years.
Doctor wants to do a 4 disc fusion with my lumbar discs and after reading all the negative results like yours I do not think it is something I am going to do.  Lucky I take heavy narcotics and without them I would not move all day.  I am sorry to hear you are still hurting in new places.  Good luck  ED
I had surgery 1997, Spinal fusion, graphs taken from the iliac crest, after the initial post op convalescing and following surgeons instructions within a year I was like new.  I was 61 at that time.  I have had a number of years almost pain free with good quality of life, unfortunately over the past few months I am experiencing acute pain in lower back and especially right leg, hopefully the neurosurgeon will be able to help. fingers crossed.
I had a laminectomy with fusion and fixation done three weeks ago. 4 rods and 8 screws put in. I had a bone graft done on my left hip to. My back is sore. Mainly my skin but the inside feels wonderful. But where he did my graft hurts like he**!!! I can feel exactly where he took the piece of bone and it feels like someone is taking a very sharp knife and going back and forth through my bone. Can't sleep can't cough. My leg drags after a while when it gets tired. My dr said it would take 6 months to heal. It's going to be a long 6 months I know that. I am not at all upset with my dr cause he is the best just wish he wouldn't of had to do the graft. Filing for disability cause I am a nurse aide and no way be able to stand on my hip for 8 hours at a time. Anyone have any suggestions on how to alleviate the pain in my hip?
i am 34 very good shape got smashed by a peice of wood that my boss had cut in a tree from 60 feet work comp ***** the dr put screws rods and a cage in me out of hospital 23 hours most pain i ever had dr not very help full after 6 months no meds for 4 months still in a lot of pain  i would not do surgry again i hope every one heals better than me and also gets a dr that cares i know he did his best work but he just left me hanging cause i could not pay visit fee s  so i have no treatment how can a dr just stop
I'm so glad I found this site and all of your comments.  It's helping me to not feel like such a pathetic wimp. I've dealt with my pain for years prior to my recent 5 day post op L5-S1 spinal fusion but I'm in so much pain right now I can't stop crying or becoming physically ill from it. I know it's early but I swear I felt better two days after than I do now. I'm only prescribed two lortab 5/500's every 4 hrs in which I have to take three just to touch the pain. This is less medication I had prior to surgery. For gods sake it's lumbar spinal fusion. They insert a cage and screws and rods and hammer and dig and all that invasive hurtful kind of crap....why was I not warned of the pain after? It's down both my legs now where I only had to suffer with one leg pain issue. I'm just praying it gets better. I'm a strong person and have a high threshold for pain which is why im seeking advice of others online to see if this is normal :(
Definite insight. Thanks for your post. There are so many on here that I can relate to or "gain insight" from albeit positive or negative. Just wanted to throw that out there. Thanks And hope for the best for all on here suffering :(
I read religiously for a good 6 months before my l45 s1 fusion this past July(2013). It was very hard to get any current info. The night I came home I was in so much pain I thought I made the biggest mistake of my life. The one common theme I kept reading from people was to make sure to stay ahead of the pain with meds and start and keep walking. Never give scare tissue a chance to develop around the surgery site. For 4 years I dealt with Sciatica uncomfortableness, after the surgery I learned what Sciatica PAIN was. It was all left leg down to my big toe( I still have some spots that are numb) I started doing light hamstring stretches with my legs, especially my left. 21/2 months still have the same issues. Hamstrings still tight, still taking meds but less (2.5 perqucet) seems to calm the leg down in the morning so I can go to work. I hope this gives you and others some hope. I do not regret the surgery. I no longer have any back pain. A little screw pain in the afternoon when I'm on my feet all day. Hang in there everyone, stay positive, take your meds and walk as much as you can.
How do you know this about the laser spine institute ? Did you go there forvacsurgery because I did and they have helped thousands of people with back problems! I think they have figured out how to fix ur back doing minimal invasive surgery and your recovery is quicker. I have talked to a hundred patients and they swear on the SI and feel great and recovery is so much better and if my insurence hadn't stop my surgery  I would be pain free now!!! As soon as I get insurence on my side I will be going back!!everyone is out for money but the worst are the insurence co who don't care that u are hurting so bad you cry on the airport at the moment insurence and SI are fighting back and forth but I imagine I will be the loser in this fight I'm sick of talking to my insurence the story they tell me keeps changing every time I talk to them now insurence wants peer on peer the doctor talking to insurence it happens tommorow but I'm scared I will lose and get to live with my ruptured disk and right leg goes numb the only winners will be my insurence co
I feel ur pain! I need to have a L5 S1 on my back but I went to laser spine instuite less evasive no hospital stay and 3 month recovery BUT god aka blue cross blue shield said the surgery on my back is uneccary and the day before surgery denied it but bcbs said if I have the old fashion back surgery and it fails they will then pay for my second surgery at the SI I can't believe my life depends on someone at my insurence deciding who gets help! My back hurts everyday 24 seven ice pack heating after reading all these horror stories of their surgery I'm so scared but I can't live in this much pain! I see no help in my future and don't know what else to do! Good luck on ur recovery and if I have to have surgery will make sure the day of that insurence is still going to pay! U should sue the doctor for not informing u that insurence wasn't going to pay!
Good luck!i just got back from Tampa went to the spine instuite and was ready to do a spinal fusion less evasive but then my insurence bcbs denied my surery! They said it wasn't necessary but if I have the horrible back surgery first and it fais then I can go to the spine instuite and they will pay for it!have u ever heard of such bull...... We are all at the mercy of stupidest insurence  people and I pray every night the pain I'm going thru hits everyone that works for bcbs! I know tacky but my life is over until I get surgery and reading all these blogs about their surgery scares me to death! Good luck
I also had the same surgery as you in Dec 2011.  Now I am in more pain down my legs then before surgery.  My back pain never goes away and I am on so many pain meds.  My bladder is leaking all the time.  I had a MRI three months ago and it shows no change.  Now I am going to see another doctor for a second opinion.  I stand on my feet for thirty two hours a week so I don't think this helps.
Try and keep strong even though I understand the pain and total stupidity of all of us having these operations, hoping for pain relief and be able to live a normql life.   I find relaxation, meditation and very strong painkillers help.  
Doctors also want to do a spinal fusion on my back.  Said that my spine has a stress fracture.  He said that he would fuse a bone in there.  I stay in a lot of pain.  There's days that I can't walk.  Have to roll out of bed to get up and when I get up and stay on my feet for a long period of time I can't hardly walk.  My family dr has me on ultram50mg,soma350mg and ambien.  Said she couldn't give me anything stronger.  I have to take 3 ultram at a time to get a little relief. The surgeons have scheduled me to go see a phsylogist. Does anyone know why they would do this.  It makes me feel like they think I am imagining the pain.  These doctors need to be in our shoes.  They would know what pain is about and I bet they would take something stronger than ultram. I am not going to let the surgeon that saw me last do surgery.  He said that I would eventually be on a walker or walking cane or possibly a wheel chair.  I am going for a second opinion at the semmes Murphy clinic in memphis.  I also have read all the horror stories about bone fusion..  Don't think I am going to let them do surgery on me.  I can walk right now but hurt all the time but I had rather hurt and still be able to walk than to have the surgery and not be able to walk.  I have been told that there is a possibility that I won't be able to walk after the surgery.  I think my only option is to go to a pain clinic bc the ultram and soma do not help.  The only way I get relief is to take ambien and knock myself out.  Good luck to you and everybody else that has posted their comments about back surgeries.
I am 62 years young, had 14 vertebrae fused with the TLSO brace April 2012 and I am much worse now than before the surgery. I fell in a store in a puddle of milk in 1995 and had a laminectomy which was a piece of cake. Then my back got worse and worse, saw a few surgeons who said I needed 8 discs fused and then they said no I needed 14 fused. I was not told until the fourth day in hospital that I had to go to rehab that was 10 miles away and a $600 ambulance ride there, in rehab I caught a virus and ended up losing 35 pounds vomiting. I was not told we had to rent a wheelchair, hospital bed, commode chair, shower chair until the day of release. I am much worse now than before the surgery. My right leg is partially paralyzed as is my left, two toes on right foot paralyzed, back pain is always there, I drop stuff now as my arms don't work right, part of my back is numb, part of it is painful just as before. When I saw the surgeon he said "oh now you have fibromyalgia", that is what is wrong and dismissed me after a five minute visit, I have not been back. He is a very renowned surgeon in Sacramento Californiawith lots of books and pamphlets he has written, has walls full of praise from patients, but I wonder where all the failed surgery letters are.
You poor thing! I had six fusions on 6/17/13 and have been in a lot of pain since. Blessedly, I have no pain when I lay flat in my back, so that's mostly where I have been since. Pain dr will give me no stronger than 25 mg Fentenyl and nothing for "breakthrough" because how will they treat me in 10 yrs if they give me strong pain meds now! They did up my Neurotin to 2400 mg a day, which helped. Feet are no longer numb and legs don't feel like they are being squeezed by boa constrictors. I am walking better, too. I have found relief in a zero gravity chair. I got it on line at SeventhAvenue.com for a couple of hundred $,  and it has heat and vibration, which also help. I can stand or sit for 10 min tops then lay for 15, back up for 10, etc. takes forever to do the dishes. Have loose screws, but surgeon is reluctant to go back in until 8 mos post-surg, when swelling should be down. Rehab won't take me with the loose screw. I am a young 67. Worst of all is they don't warn you. I thought I would pop right back in a couple of mos.
Wow loose screws, hope that does not happen as I am done with surgery of any kind, I don't care what they find next, I am totally done. I can lay on my back or sides, not stomach. I have pain all the time but take nothing for it, I just put up with it. I have a lot more pain now than I did before. I have had three stomach surgeries for reflux and all three failed therefore pain pills for me are not an option as I would vomit them up anyway. You are right they don't warn you, I was told almost nothing and I could not find out these awful side effects until I got them. Hope you recover well.
I would not have liked it, but I could have taken it better if they would have said I could be incapacitated for 8 mos. I asked dr if and when I could golf again, and he told me 3 mos. ha! I could barely walk with a walker then. I put this surgery off for years. But, you didn't have to be an engineer to see that the big "c" in my lower back had to be repaired. Tests showed no discs between three vertebrae and one vertebrae actually laying sideways. It just had to be done. I am so sick of traveling laying across the back seat, and we haven't been out to eat in six months. They are telling me 6-8 and possibly 10 months because the swelling lasts that long. What a nightmare. Try sleeping on a heating pad. It helps a little. I know what you mean about surgeries, though. I had both knees replaced twice, and I though that the back surgery would finally make me mobile. It would have to be an emergency before I would ever have any surgeries again!
It has been 19 months, I will never golf again ever. I can barely walk 20 steps, I am as good as I ever will be. Never again can I pick anything off the floor I have grabber sticks all over the house, can't climb the first step of a ladder to get anything, I really miss my tub, I detest showers and that is all I can do. i have 19 steps upstairs so do it once a day, once down once up. I can't rake leaves sweep floor, I can just now do laundry, reaching in to get them and use stick to take them out of the dryer. I have one grandchild, an 8 year old girl and can't get down on the floor to play dolls etc with her as it is so so painful to get up again. Wish I never had it done, I tell everyone never get a back surgery
I have real sever head pain from a fusion of neck dic 5,6,7. I had surgery in 2005. I'm on pain Med's sleeping pill's. I Don't get any relief. Sometimes I feel like giving up the pain is so bad. I've had injection's and burning off of nerves. I again went for Cat scan, I have  arthritis in my neck, but the PA I saw said my neck is intake . I should go back and get more injections. I said they didn't work. They used  Novocain injection's. What pain would this help it wears's off right away. The medical record's said I had great result's. After the anesthesia wore off I was in pain. The Pa, said if I went thou more injection's, and they don't work that I then could have surgery. if my neck is intake why would they do surgery. If anyone has ran into this same thing  I hope I hear from you.
I had a neck plate put in in 2002 and then the 14 vertebrae fused 2012, now for the past week I have had horrible headaches at the base of my spine, I hope this is not from either plate. guess I have to finally give in and go see my doctor. My fear is it is a tumor as my sister died of a brain tumor, guess I am just scared to find out. Hope you get some relief, my friend just had a stimulator implanted in her neck and gets botox shots for her head pain
Thank's for your information.  Sorry you lost your sister.My husband sister also died of that. I would like to try Botox injections.I did go to a Doctor he was nice but, pretty elderly. He said his nurse would do the injection of Botox,but I think I would be more at ease if it was done by a doctor. Hope you can find out about your headaches.
I had a fused neck 5,6,7. I had allot of burning felt like I was on firer. I started taking Neuropathy Support and the burning has went away.to try this call 1-888-840-7142 I hope you get the relief you need. Not fun. I still have sever headaches everyday.
So very sorry to hear of your pain. I had a fuse neck 567. I Have sever headaches everyday. I feel that there is know hope. The doctor's are making allot from people in pain. The dollar is so important.they don't seem to care. Most have never been in pain, someday it will be their turn. I pray you feel better soon.
I had my L4 L5 S1 Fusion on July 9th 2013,  I felt pretty good for the first 2 months, we went camping in our trailer the end of July and again in August did a little waking, but mostly relaxed in my lounge chair it was nice. September started PT on October 12 went in to my surgeons office for my 3 month check up and was told then I could do anything now, ride my quad, go hiking, pretty much anything ,so I kept pushing in it with walking about 1/4 mile, PT, rode my quad a couple of times and about two weeks later I was back in his office because I started hurting in my lower back, hips and had pain going down my legs. All he could tell me was "It's nothing to do with the surgery" and "he didn't know what was going on".  Wow! I was speachless.  My surgeon said I could go get injections, try chiropratic and/or PT and pretty much have a good day Wow! I told him I was going to PT that he was the one that wrote the perscription for me to go " Oh he says"  I walked out of the office feeling like he just dropped the ball. In November the pain increased so much I have been taking pain meds 4 X a day. It's December still in pain hurts to stand or walk very long finally, I have an appointment to see a Dr. in the same practice for injections and/or possibly an MRI, CT scan.  I beginning  to think I was better off living on injections then having this surgery.
Wow sounds like my surgeon, after the 14 vertebrae fused and a partially paralyzed leg and arms not working right (I drop everything) and more pain than before the surgery I just got a shoulder slump and a "oh you have fibromyalgia now". It has nothing to do with the surgery he said. I said I see your walls are covered with letters from patients how well they are doing, where are the failed surgery letters? and he said oh I have no failed surgeries and I said well start counting then as I am number one.
I'm 13 years old and had spinal fusion surgery almost 3 weeks ago. I'm in more pain than I could ever imagine! When will it get better? I have no motivation. I used to play basketball and I obviously can't now. I still don't have any bit of attention in my family because my little brother gets it all. And my teachers are being mean about giving me my school work, because they think I'm perfectly fine to go back to school. Nobody thinks it hurts to have this surgery. Also I'm so overwhelmed with my school work that I can't think straight. My teaches give my stuff I can't even do. They give me at least five pages of things to do every day in each subject. And on top of all this, I can't sleep at night. I can't find a comfy spot. It just hurts a lot.  Does this get any better?
I know it is hard to believe, but unless something went wrong during the surgery you will feel better. First push yourself to walk. Go a little bit further every day, even if you have to take baby steps. Before you know it you will be back to your daily routine. The next time you see your doctor ask him/her when you will be allowed to play basketball again. You might be surprised.
As far as school goes, ask your mom or dad to arrange a meeting with your guidance counselor and the ESE placement specialist for a 504 plan. This plan should spell out your disabilities and why you cannot do all the work you are being given. It is a legal document that your teachers have to honor. Cheer up. I have been in your place. I also have a doctorate in education leadership. You have legal rights that your parents need to know. Things will work out. Let me know what happens.
I just found  your post, and want you to know I'm sorry for all that you have went through. I 'm also in allot of pain. Headaches 24/7.IIn 2005, I had fused neck 5,6,7,.I've tried about everything physical t, pain medication like Oxycodone,over the counter drug's. I've had shot's three time's, and burning off of the nerve's on left Side. The shot's and burning off of nerve's did not work. They don't want to give pain medication and want to try shot's again. I'm back and try the shot's.It dose cost me allot for the co-pay, and surgery room Doctor, and  drug doctor. I was thinking about going to lazier surgery. Thank's for your comment's.If You can give me any feed back I would be grateful . Hope you get relief soon.
I know the burning, I felt like I was on firer.It's was pain like you get when you iron cloth's and burn your figure but this burning is from my neck to the back of leg's. Try telling someone about the burning and they just can't understand. I started taking neuropathy support formula b1,B12, wither-alpha Lipoiic  and it has  made the burning go away. At least try this, and I pray the burning goes away for you. The phone number for this is 1-888-840-7142
This Vitamin cost me 49.00 a month but if you get relief it my be good for you to try.
Girlfriends mother after cervical spine surgery, back and neck pain from the upper half of the increase, right arm numb fingers and heavier than before surgery, chest choke. Has 23 days after surgery. I do not know is not a normal situation, it is now very worried girlfriends.
Hi,thought I would share with you I got new medication Hydrocod/APAP 325mg it has been only two day's and I don't feel the head pain. I just hope this keep's working.Maybe you can try this .good luck!
Hope you are feeling better.Sometimes you feel like you are the only one in pain,but allot of people feel your pain. Wish your teacher would lighten up on the home work. You get better real soon. Have a Merry Christmas!
I am going to ask the Dr if I can see a neurologist, I know the surgeon has screwed me up royally. I am in more pain now 20 months after the surgery, I think he hit and cut some major muscles and nerves he never should have touched
I've had 2 neck fusions @ c5-6 and c6-7.  Still have neck, shoulder, arm pain  all the way down to my hand and fingers to include pain, weakness, numbness, tingling.  It seems all of the actually got worse after the surgery and worse with time.  But it's been so long who knows.  I'm on Opana ER, Norco, Topomox, Colace (of course Right everyone? ha ha ha) Was on vicodin for a year before surgery so haven't had a regular bowel movement in 5 years.  I have 6 year old twin boys whom are very active.

I have tried PT, spinal injections, and continue the medications.  However, I have just learned of a Dr called a Physiatrist?  Has anyone heard of or been to such a Dr? I'm done with Physical Therapists since I feel I'm way out of their realm of knowledge.  

Any input or advice would be helpful as I would like to get some form of a normal life.  I have conceded that I will never be whole again.  I was involved in a rear end accident by somebody talking on their cell phone.  He walked away while I went on to have neck surgery and will suffer for the rest of my days as well as will the rest of my family by not having the wife and mommy they deserve.   But I don't complain (to them) ha ha ha and give it my all everyday.. when I can.  Bless you all and may you find peace and less pain somehow. and perhaps look up a Physiatrist??
I was just wondering since a year has passed how are you now?
Thank You. I will try to dodge surgery.
I wish the people would mention what state they are in and
at least the hospital they went to.

I have degenerative disk disease since birth.  Am going on
70.  Have had surgery on my neck.  Fusion on c1, c2.  Now
the other disks are dissolving as well so need more surgery
Had CT scan a week ago and now need a MRI to see if
more surgeries are possible.  I am in MN.

Mugwump
Hi, I am in California in Rocklin, had the horrible surgery in Sacramento and the rehab in Roseville, It has been almost two years now and I still am no better, am worse than ever. I can barely drive and barely walk, wished I had never had this horrible surgery. It has affected everything I do in life. They rushed me through the preliminaries and never really explained this and that and all the things that could happen and that I could be worse than before the surgery. I tell everyone not let anyone touch your back and especially never do 14 vertebrae fusion. I am 63 this year and walk like I am 93
   Hi,New nere......Has anybody else had loose screws on a lumbar fusion repaired?I was wondering what can be done..There's a bump where the screw is and even the weight of a bedsheet is unbearable sometimes.The elastic band on underwear is out of the question.I've had so many surgeries by now,this seems irrelevant,but it's kinda like the straw and camel deal.I'm just too chicken to give up.Would appreciate any help.
Sure sounds like that to me, It has never happened to me and it better not with all the screws I have. A simple xray will show if that is what it is.
Hello..New here and from MA.. Had spinal stenosis so they did a laminectomy at L3  in 2005 in Boston..Should have stopped there but 2 different surgeons told me I'd need fusion in 4 to 5 years so I might as well do both together..Big mistake..I would never recommend fusion to anyone..They fused L-3 to S-1 and for 18 months all was great..( results of the laminectomy ) ..Then I started to get muscle pain in the area of the surgery in 2007 and it gets worse each year..I have tried everything you can think of..
Injections,chiropractors,massage,yoga,palates,acupuncture ,drugs of course, 4 different PT's ,  exercise, stretching , etc. . I can't walk or stand for more than 15 minutes or so without pain..Nothing works but a TENS..I just wear it when I go for walks or working on my feet..If not for the TENS I have to sit & stretch every 15 minutes or so.. Hopefully a TENS ( mine are low cost ones from Amazon in the $60.00 -$100 price range ) can help some of you.. I'm told the pain probably comes from cut muscles and scar tissue but no one is sure ..I'd be very interested if someone has experienced the same post fusion pain I have and dealt with it effectively .
I have tried the tens unit since my surgery two years ago and it does nothing. going to a pain clinic this Thursday, hopefully they can help me. I can only walk maybe 15 steps at the most before I have to sit down. I know every store with a electric cart that I can use. I hate that I ever did this as well,
I'm 46 years old I just a l4 and 5 twenty days ago I don't feel the pain I had before my surgery but I'm feeling lots of tightness on my back muscles it's that normal to feel I'm confused
I am so bad now I start caudel injections the 21st for the pain
Viewing 201-295 comments: