Back & Neck Community
post surgery nerve regeneration L5 ?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

post surgery nerve regeneration L5 ?

Hi - wondering if anyone has recently had a disc extrusion removed that was compressing their L5 nerve and had any success in nerve regeneration?

I recently had a Laminotomy & microdiscectomy to remove a HUGE extrusion of my L5/S1 disc that was smashing the nerve against the bone. Upon initial removal I have had some rapid recovery with sensations and a slight improvement in muscle controls, but not much more. Surgery was on May 20th - just wondering of others have been through similar situation and what levels and types of recovery they have experienced.

Thanks,
TheShooter
i also had a microdiscectomy on L5-S1 because of a large extrusion.  the surgery was on june 2.  

What i was told by my doctor is it is a **** shoot on how much the nerve will regerate. He said i had let mine be pinched for too long and it might not regenerate at all. I think it depends on everyones situation and how damaged the nerve is. With it now 2 weeks post op for me i have noticed a gradual increase in the strength of my leg wich is great. But i am not sure if it is the muscles regenerating or the nerve itself....

best of luck and good health
I didn't have the surgery, my extrusion retracted.  but it took over a year and i was partially paralyzed during this time.  damaged really isn't the correct word.  your nervous system just finds a new path to keeping things moving.  this is years of extensive research & being my own advocate.  this is what worked for me.  i had to address my bad biomechanics.  if there's not someone that specializes in this in your area pilates is similar.  once i corrected my posture the pressure was relieved from my discs.  i could not fire my nerve even after the rehab so i went to medical acupuncture and had the nerve roots electrically stimulated at the spine as well as directly in the muscles.  they fired within a few treatments.  then, i went to myofascial release with someone trained by barnes (http://www.myofascialrelease.com/home.asp) and they taught my nervous system to work correctly.  by the second treatment my, i had a new body.  the nerves started firing correctly and i think i'll be stronger than i was before the injury.  i hope this helps.  if you have ?s let me know.  kimpton.