Back & Neck Community
pulled muscle or fractured collarbone?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

pulled muscle or fractured collarbone?

I just fell down the stairs, about 9 or 10 carpeted steps. I landed on my butt, and grabs the handrail with my left hand.  When I did that I felt something pop between my arm and my neck. Now I feel moderate pain between my neck and shoulder.  I can't afford to go see my doctor (no money for co-pay). Is this something I should go to the hospital for?  I can't afford un necessary medical bills.
For the most part it doesn't hurt that bad, but when I turn my head to the right or tilt it toward the right I feel a very sharp pain.
Should I wait it out and see if it naturally goes away, or could this be serious and in need of immediate medical careBTW, I'm still lying on the stair landing.
Now I can feel the pain going up the left side of my arm and the left side of my head. And I'm getting a headache in my temples. Maybe I should go to the hospital. Or maybe I just need to lay down and sleep on my back or right side for a while.
Hi there!

Well, it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms without a detailed clinical evaluation. Possibilities that may need to be considered include fractures, dislocations, injuries to muscles, muscle sprain/ spasm, neurological causes, inflammation etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by a primary care physician initially and depending on the cause diagnosed/ suspected it can be managed accordingly or specialist care may be sought. Meanwhile I would suggest rest, ice-packs or warm compresses and tylenol/ OTC NSAIDS may be helpful for pain relief.
Hope this helps.

Take care!