Back & Neck Community
questions about the Neurostimulation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

questions about the Neurostimulation

Hello folks !
Evening. I'm reaching out ONCE AGAIN ! :-)
I reached out to YOUR community awhile back,concerning my husband with forth end stage cirrhosis of liver. OUR prayers had been answered.  And, I had reached out to this Medhelp an had received much needed info. Well, I'm in need to ask someone  about the Neurostimulation. I guess it's a machine type thing that put into your lower back for pain to redirect the pain else where. This is all i know. If, someone thinks they can enlighten me I would love hearing from you ! I'm in chair 24/7 so it takes me a minute to get back to ya , I have better day's. I need YOUR advice on lower back issue's/Chronic pain. Thank You, Thank You !!!!  :-) ;-)
Sure Cici, and welcome back.

The device is called a spinal cord stimulator, and for some reason it relieves some pain when placed in the correct position near the spinal cord. These are usually recommended for treating the pain of lumbar spinal stenosis.

It's an expensive process but can be effective. Generally this is done by an interventional pain physician. They can evaluate whether this treatment is appropriate for you or  your husband.

If so, there will be a trial, where a temporary stimulator is placed as an outpatient procedure, where the doctor is looking for proper location and effect. If he's successful, it's a small surgical procedure to insert the permanent device as it has a control box that is inserted usually in the hip/groin area.

These devices are very smart and have computers inside that can generate different vibration patterns. Often the trick in getting them to be effective is discovering the correct programming, so it is important to work with an experienced team when considering this treatment.

By the way, if you're familiar with MollyRae, she would love to hear from you and your good news over at the Couch. If you don't know what I'm talking about, that's fine too.

Best wishes.