Back & Neck Community
recurring shoulder/neck pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

recurring shoulder/neck pain

Hi guys. My issue is that about four times per year, I get a stiff neck that is pretty much debilitating for a week or so. Odd thing is, I know when it is going to happen. About a day or two before the pain starts, the skin over my right shoulder blade ... tightens up. That's the best way I can describe it. Imagine if someone put Elmer's glue on your skin. Ever get glue on your hands when you were a kid? Anyway, when the glue dries, it makes the skin feel tight. That's the way my skin feels a day or two before my neck goes all wonky. The pain stays on the right side of my neck, mostly, and it stiffens enough that I cannot turn my head for a few days. Any experiences like this?
I mentioned it to my doc several times, and he thinks it''s a repetitive stress injury, not much I can do about it, according to him. I have no preexisting conditions that would explain it, I have changed jobs (it isn't job-related as far as I can tell), and I am actually pretty active usually.
Massage helps for a short time. I haven't seen a chiro just because I have heard too many stories about chiro fraud. Might be worth looking into, though. Thanks for reading, guys..
Hi there,

I'm no doctor by any means, but it sounds like you could be suffering with Cervical Spondylosis. This is more common in the later stages of life due to wear and tear of the neck muscles and bones, but I also believe it can be triggered by stress, as every so often I also suffer with this, like you said 'deblitating' condition. Mine will just happen when I've woke up, so I cant relate to your 'glue like feeling', but I think it would deffinetely be worth a try seeing a chiropractor, and maybe have a good look into finding a decent one as this is what they specialise in. Hope I helped, and good luck!
I've had the same thing! Well I don't know the glue feeling but I do have neack pains. I've went to go see a doctor but all they say is " go Serbs ciopracter or get a better pillow" al those do help but not much besides the ciopracter 1.i went to the ciopracter and after a few days started working but still didn't go away. I'm still looking for answers but I hoped this helped. Oh by he way getting a better pillow can help to.