Back & Neck Community
severe shooting pain in spine neck stiffness head stabbing tightness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

I have been getting severe pain in my spine like a shooting pain that triggers up to my neck making my neck very stiff ends up entering into my head with a severe stabbing pain with my head feeling so tight it feels like its gonna pop like a rubber band I get them about 4-5 times a day but when it happens I have to hold my head and put pressure on it and put my head down because it ends up feeling like im going to pass out from the pain it last about a min but its so painful it even wakes me up in the middle of the night when Im sleeping it suddenly been going on for about 3 weeks I dont know what to do does it mean anything? if you can help me please do I really don't have the money to go to the dr. but I dont know if it is something serious or not I do have three bulging disc in my lower level of my back which is also very painful!
Hi!
Since, you have trouble in your lower back, it is possible that a chance that you have compression of the spinal nerves in the cervical spine region. This can happen due to overuse of computers, work involving straining of neck, herniated disc, canal stenosis, bone disease, spondylosis, poor posture etc. A MRI of the cervical spine and nerve conduction studies may be required. Please consult a neurologist. The treatment is to remove the compression. You have to discuss the best treatment option with a neurologist, which can range from medication to steroid injections to physiotherapy to traction, cervical collars or even surgery. Alternatively you can visit a chiropractor or a physical therapist and learn some exercises which you can do to relieve the compression, but consulting a neurologist is a must.
Meanwhile, use a hard bed to sleep. Avoid a pillow. Roll a towel and place it under your neck while sleeping on the back and between head and shoulder when lying on the side. Initially this will be uncomfortable but with time the acupressure will work. Use an analgesic cream or spray. Anti-inflammatory drugs help. Also, you must improve your posture while sitting and working. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.