Back & Neck Community
should an 80-yr old have back surgery?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

should an 80-yr old have back surgery?

May 7th my 80-yr old mom is scheduled for back surgery. She has spinal stinosis and a bulging disk near her
tailbone. The surgery will be for the disk. She's terrified of what recovery will be like and was told there's an
85percent chance the surgery will help with the pain in her legs but not necessarily the back pain itself. I told
her to get a second opinion which she did not. She's in very good mental and physical health aside from the
constant pain from her back situation. I'm trying to find others who have gone through the same surgery to ask
for suggestions to make her recovery any easier with sitting, lying down (getting comfortable), eating, etc.
Any info will be appreciated. Thank you ELB
Hi...saw your question, I have not had any surgery although my dx is pretty much the same.
I've seen a number of doctors and they have all told me DO NOT have the surgery unless ur unable to walk and r fully incontinent....because there is a good chance that u will b after the surgery, so hold off until there is nothing left to loose so to speak., I have been told that success rates r not 85%, closer to 50/50...Its a painful proceedure and a long recovery time.
I hope your mom gives this alot of thinking b4 going ahead...she sure should have gotten another opinion ur right.
I know when ur in alot of pain ur willing to take drastic measures for relief.
good luck to her, keep us posted on how everything goes for her...I wish her all the best.
opus88
NO difently NOT i am  33 years old and just had the same surgery a decompression of the spine for spinal stenosis that was on March 11th and i have not got better in fact i have been worse after the first surgery i had to have four more surgery for leaking spinal fluid and now have a big baseball size lump on my back and i am in so much pain daily all i have done since the surgery is lay flat on my back because every time i get up i get the worst headache in the world and dr said he dont want to do no more surgery on me because he does not think it will help any so i am more less bed ridden at 33 what ever  u do do NOT let your mother go through with this but this is just my one opion about this surgery i am now currenty waiting on a call from the mayo clinic to see if they can help hope this helps cory