Back & Neck Community
shoulder blade pain and discomfort in sternum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

For three months I have a feeling of a burning type pain between my shoulder blades when riding in the car, sitting on furniture, as well as when lying flat on my back.  It is always accompanied by a feeling of heart burn or pressure in the sternum, which at times spreads out under the rib cage.  Is this a back problem, or an internal organ problem?  I seem healthy otherwise.
LuAnn
It sounds like it could be gallbladder.  Is it on your right or left?  Have you ever had that checked out.  I had mine taken out and I had similar symptoms.  Good luck.  
I had never thought of checking the gallbladder.  The pain always seems equally spread out on both sides of the sternum, as well as between the shoulder blades.  I have had a lot of heart burn, or acid reflux during the last six months...could there be a correlation?
luAnn
I have been having very similar problems, for many years and have not had any luck getting answers.  I just finished getting tests on my gallbladder, all were normal, I also had problems with reflux and heartburn,  have been treated for a year now, recent tests show my GI system is all normal.  Please if you get any answers, let me know.
How interesting.  My pain is almost always when my back is pressed up against something.  I can't sit without putting something at the small of my back so I don't lean back agains my shoulder blades.  Is it the same for you?
I have an appointment next week for a physical.  I will let you know what my doctor says.
I have had neck surgery twice in my life and I do suffer from degenerative disc disease but function pretty well.  Can't stand up too long in one place or my back kills me.  
Any such similiar symptoms?
Girdie (LuAnn actually)
I am new here and was just reading your post. I also have a really bad pain that comes and goes directly in the middle of my sternum and also a pain like a bolt driven through
just to the left of my right shoulder blade. I have read that people who are having problems with their esophagus have these symptoms. You may have a tear, or a
irritated spot or even spazms in there. I have not gone to check mine out, (though I did get the gallbladder checked and it was ok) so let us know what you find! They also mentioned maybe something called "baretts esophagus" , an eroding of the lining due to excess acid that has come up for a long time and changed the cell structure. Glad you're getting it checked out.
Thanks for the informaiton.  I will let you know what my doctor says.
The pain you described is a bit different than what I am experiencing.  The pain in my back (between shoulder blades) comes when leaning against something...a car seat, a chair, sofa, etc..  
The comment of it having something to do with the esophagus is very interesting as during the last 15 years my esophagus occassionaly collapses and I have difficulty breathing.  It only last a couple of minutes.  No one has ever checked it out for me, other than one doctor who said he thought it was collapsing.  I will mention this again when I go to the doctor's this Tuesday.