Back & Neck Community
shoulder neck and back pain
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

shoulder neck and back pain

Hi,

I am a 25 year old female and have a question involving persistent upper back, shoulder and neck pain.  

I will quickly give you a medical history:  I have hypothyroidism (hashimoto's thyroiditis) and polycystic ovarian syndrome.  I take levothyroxine for the hypothyroidism, as well and metformin & oral contraceptives for my polycystic ovarian syndrome, as I am insulin resistant and have elevated testosterone levels.  I see an endocronologist for both health issues.  I found out I had hypothyroidism about a year ago.  The endo told me that I had PCOS about 2 months ago.

I have never had a thyroid ultrasound, but I do have a pea sized hard/fixed supraclavicular lymph node on my right side (noticed it about 8 months ago).  All doctors I have seen (gastroentorologist, primary, and endo) said they would "keep an eye on it."  It hasn't gotten larger, but I have deep shoulder pain in the area, and it occasionally radiates into my arm.  On top of that, my neck is also in pain at the base where my neck meets my shoulders, and my back also aches between my shoulders.  I would describe the neck, back, shoulder and neck pain as nagging.  I seem to be able to control the back pain with yoga, but exercise makes my shoulder pain worse.  

This is the strangest thing:  When I inhale, I hear what I would describe as a crunching or popping noise.  This occurs anywhere between 5-20 times a day.   Sometimes it seems like my back is just cracking or releasing, but other times it seems to come from my right shoulder or chest.  Aside from the times when my back cracks, the sound and feeling does not seem to feel or hear like bone cracking, but something grinding against something else in my chest or the right side near my shoulder.  The pane and "crunching" noise has only gotten more noticeable and the pain and sound more frequent over the past year.  I would like to know what I should do about this, if anything.  When I tell my endo about it, she doesn't not seem to know what to say--because she says very little about this particular concern of mine.  This is frustrating.  Should I see a chiropractor?  A back doctor?  I have no clue.  I really appreciate any info you can provide me with.  Thanks!

Gem