Back & Neck Community
spinal fusion recovery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

spinal fusion recovery

I am 12 weeks post fusion at l4, l5, s1 and laminectomy. I am doing therapy, but still having problems with swelling in right foot, numbness and tingling in my right leg and foot. This was the original leg I had problems with. But now my left leg is so week I am unable to walk much without a walker. When I do walk without it I clump around and my left leg just doesn't want to work right. I keep hearing from PT that the strength will eventually come back. The Dr had told me I should be walking by 6 weeks. Is this a normal progression or should I be getting a second opinion or what?
thanks
Everybody recovers differently, my Doctor had a similar ridiculous schedule for me. I had fusion and laminectomy at L4-5 and I was suppose to be walking a mile at 6 weeks and going to P.T.

There was no way, I had pretty severe nerve damage in my leg and I couldn't stand for more than about 15-20 minutes at that point. At 12 weeks, I was finally able to go to therapy.

For some people recovery takes longer, I'd give it a little while longer and if you feel like you're not making any progress, by all means get another opinion.

Take Care
On 8/03/10 i also have had a tlif l4-s1 with a complete laminectomy due to l4 and l5 disk herniating and really bad lightning bolts of pain shooting down my rear and left leg. Today is 9/03/10 one month sence i had the surgery. I fell while walking/light grocery shopping 2 weeks ago. So my dr. had me an appontment on 9/01/10 to make sure i didnt screw up anything in my back. I went and had some xrays taken before the dr. appontment. The doc said everything looked great but he was worried about my pain in my leg is different than before surgery, he ordered a ct myelogram that day and i went and did it, i then had my blood drawn. My blood results are normal. But dont have the results for the spinal tap yet. Damn that guy was rough, i thought he would go for the surgery site but he went for l2 insted and bent the needle on what he said was a bone spur. He finally went were i have nothing covering my spinal cord. Now my doc has a EMG scheduled for 9/14/10. I dont think im going to have that test due to most people say it comes back normal. Any coments are welcome!