Back & Neck Community
spine is curved and rotating from front to back

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

I am 28 years old and have scoliosis.  I have found out years ago that now it is rotating from front to back.  For the first time ever it is beginning to affect my life.  (Other than the obvious mid-section leaning to the left.) I was always physically fit, active in sports, etc...

Now, my legs get numb and tingle at times.  It feels like a bone has moved around in the center of my tailbone, on a nerve or something and if someone would move it over, I would be okay.  It causes the same exact spots in my buttocks, mid-thighs, behind the knees on both the right and left sides to feel funny.

I have been seeing a chiropractor and a massage therapist once a month.  With some relief.  I was told by an Orthopedic Surgeon that surgery is my ONLY option.  But that idea is one that I am not in favor of.  I have begun to work out again.  (I have had 2 kids and been LAZY!!! I am not overweight 5'6" and 125lbs just out of shape.) Anyone else experience any of this?  Any other suggestions?  Any workouts or things to avoid?  Any arguements SUPPORTING surgery?    
I have had other tests done re:  diabetes, thyroid, etc... due to numbness and that is all negative.
Hey, I am in the same boat, except I am 52 and the Micro Bionics surgeon told me I couldn't have the surgery now, so if you are able to get the surgery, GEEEZ, do it NOW! I waited too long. If I didn't know better, I would think I had written your post when I was 28. I am now 53 and I can not have the surgery because I kept spiraling, I have scoliosis, S shaped plus from front to back, so my spine is starting to look like a DNA scale! I had the same symptoms at 28 and I refused the surgery. I wish now I had done it. Now it is too late, as the spine continued in my 30's to spiral and by the time I was 40, it was too late. I was active, ran track in school, dancing, riding horses, having fun... but by the time I hit 40, my nerves had covered the area that needed repaired (above the tail bone) so if the Doctors can do it, Let them do it now. By the time you get into your 30's, life gets in the way, then you're 40 and it's too late! Do it so that you will have a favorable future. I know they can do it, they have had plenty of practice! Are they talking about Harrington Rods? I talked to Dr. Chapman and Dr. Harrington years ago about the surgery. I was in my early 30's then, but I didn't go for it. I sure wish I would have. It only gets much worse in a very short time. I kick myself daily for not going through with it. Just suck it up, put yourself in their hands, and you will be better than ever!
Judy
By the way, numbness in the right leg is a daily problem for me, and the pain is really getting to be more than I can stand. It does not go away, it does get worse, and it's a real pain if you don't get treated when you're younger than 30, so please do go for it and enjoy a better life then what I had. I really honestly had to read your post and I thought it was something I had written! Years ago! OMG, How cool is that! I feel like I am telling me not to make my same misteak of not going through with the surgery! Wow. Best of luck to you!
Judy
I have exactly the same problem, I've been going to see physiotherapists, chiropractors and several doctors. I've been wondering if a brace would solve my problem but i'm 26 and have been told that it's too late now.
I've also been researching an operation but am a little scared.
ILokie do you mind me asking what decision you made.
Diana.
Hi.  I had severe functional scoliosis from being paralyzed in one leg.  I have a friend that teaches pilates that had scoliosis as a child and she now has a straight spine.  She has MRIs before & after.  We both have benefited from rolfing & from pilates.  Rolfing will reset your muslces right down to the bone & deal with the fascia as well.  By releasing the tissues it moves the bones back into natural alignment.  When the pain started going away I was almost high.  But, I had to stop exercising because I was using my old pattern of movement and had to learn a new way to do things.  If you get too far down the road to numbness it's (possible) but it's hard to come back from that.  Hope this helps.  Kimpton
Hi.  *** Get your b12 tested***   stop taking your vitamins before you take the test and then take a 1000mg a for a week and retest again. & make sure they do an intrinsic factor test for pernicious anemia because you might not be absorbing it.  You might have to do more than one test to diagnose a deficiency.  
What are the degrees of curvature here?
Hi there, I am 49 and my tailbone started rotating about 2-3 years ago. I do not have scoliosis, but my family has a history. My tailbone just started twisting and has continued up from my tailbone to (right now) in the shoulder blade area.

The pain I experience is crippling, some days I cannot walk, other days I can hardly use my arms. My digestion and other internal organs are freaking out and I have developed Celiac disease. Oh, and I also have Fibromyalgia. I was doing fine (generally speaking - high pain tolerance) until my spine started rotating. No doctor or rheumatologist can tell me what it is or what causes, or how to make it stop or get better. I don't think they really understand how much pain I am really in because I am generally a very calm person (or I am just always exhausted and they mistake it for calm).

So far no one has been able to come up with a medical term for it, or offer anything that could improve my pain. I have been told it is 'probably' just part of the Fibromyalgia???

I could use some real help. Any suggestions on what type of doctor I can see to have this properly diagnosed?
i am 16 and have a scoliosis of 40 degrees. i have been experiencing a rib hump and a rotation in my spine for about 8 months now. there is numbness in my left leg (specially of i sit for too long) and i practically cannot sit without a back-rest. i have a long way to go, so please tell me what to do. my doctors say that since my scoliosis in not increasing, surgery is not compulsory and i would rather not like one. i have crucial academic years ahead and want to end up taking mechanical engineering so i need to be fit. please suggest any way of exercise or yoga to help this.
There are exercises a physical therapist, like myself, can provide you, here in the forums, like the cat and camel exercise but instead of looking for an actual exercise, go and see a PT they can give you the right exercises and even subscribe body braces for scoliosis.