Back & Neck Community
surgical options for Spondylolisthesis
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

surgical options for Spondylolisthesis

I'm a 48 male with Grade 1 Spondylolisthesis with moderate to severe narrowing of the central spinal canal. Also a disc buldge with contact of the transforminal towards lateral right l4 nerve root.
Now my questions: There seem to be several techniques to perform a vertebra fusion from the posterior to an XLIF procedure from the side.
I understand the pros and cons for the posterior point of view, such as destablization, muscle cuts etc.  Is there any info on the disadvantage of the XLIF procedure.
thanks

tom
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi,

My 15 yr. old daughter has a Grade 1 Spondylolisthesis and I am researching treatments for this disorder.
Please explain why destabilization is a complication of a posterior approach.  I thougt muscle cuts have to be done with any approach. Let me know anything you learn about the XLIF procedure please.  Isn't that a new procedure?

Thanks,

Charlotte
Blank
997349_tn?1288351331
I have that as well. Mine is caused by severe facet joint arthritis. I just had back surgery for my spinal stenosis in July. Mine was a microdecompression and a piece of  cake.It still took six weeks to get better. I would have to think twice before I would have any other major back surgery. My life would have to depend on it. Back surgery has come a very long way but there is a long recoup. time for some surgeries and they don't always work!! They can go in from the front, the side or the back.

Deebelle
Blank
What kind of symptoms were you having before the microdecompression and was it successful?

Terry4
Blank
997349_tn?1288351331
Hi Terry4

I had numbness and pain in both legs; sciatica; pressure;pain with muscle spasms at night. They did go away before surgery. I had epidurals in January but they did not help a lot. They did help in that I could feel my legs better. I now know after surgery that I have two legs and I can feel them. I have a lot of arthritis in multiple joints so I still have issues but I think the surgery was a real success!!!
Deebelle
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Back & Neck Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank