Back & Neck Community
tarlovs cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

tarlovs cyst

was hit in the back with a forklift hauling a  1000 lb of boxes in august 2007  after that had low back pain that radiated down buttocks and leg first MD said it was lumbar strain then went to other DR  was told it was SI joint dysfunction had steroid injection after MRI which  report was fine so i thought  then was reffered to a new DR to have a RF ablation had it done in march of 2009  pain never changed but know have a problem with electic shock feeling on the lumbar area and also left sided pain which is the same as the right but not constant  so new DR ordered mri and report said perinural  nerve root sleeve cyst at left s1 with bilobed components in the inferior margin unchanged from 2007 MRI so dr said he look at mri never mentioned the cyst and said that i had a small disc bulge at l5 and did a epidural steroid injection bilateral  has not helped the pain but now have a problem with urine retention so he sent me for new MRI on 7//2009 this report states nothing changed from last MRI noted severe perinural nerve root sleeve cysts on left s1 and not as severe on right s1  dr called me said everything is fine never mentioned the cysts agian what should i do im in bed more than i am up i lost my job and cant be out of bed for long periods of time cant sit long , can't bend or walk without being in pain after 5 minutes. do you think it could be the cysts causing this pain
I have copied some information regarding Tarlov cysts and recommended treatment options. It might help you open up a discussion with your doctor.  If you feel he is non-responsive to your questions, perhaps you need to obtain a second opinion.

What is Perineural Cysts?
Tarlov cysts are fluid-filled sacs that most often affect nerve roots in the sacrum, the group of bones at the base of the spine. These cysts can compress nerve roots, causing lower back pain, sciatica (shock-like or burning pain in the lower back, buttocks, and down one leg to below the knee), urinary incontinence, sexual dysfunction, and some loss of feeling or control of movement in the leg and/or foot. Pressure on the nerves next to the cysts can also cause pain. Tarlov cysts may become symptomatic following shock, trauma, or exertion that causes the buildup of cerebrospinal fluid. Women are at much higher risk of developing these cysts than are men.

Tarlov cysts may be drained to relieve pressure and pain, but relief is often only temporary and fluid build-up in the cysts will recur. Corticosteroid injections may also temporarily relieve pain. Other drugs may be prescribed to treat chronic pain and depression. Filling the cysts with fat has not been shown to work. Injecting the cysts with fibrin glue (a combination of naturally occurring substances based on the clotting factor in blood) may provide temporary relief of pain. Some scientists believe the herpes simplex virus, which thrives in an alkaline environment, can cause Tarlov cysts to become symptomatic; making the body less alkaline, through diet or supplements, may lesson symptoms. Microsurgical removal of the cyst may be be an opton in select individuals who do not respond to conservative treatments and who continue to experience pain or progressive neurological damage.

Most Tarlov cysts do not cause pain, weakness, or nerve root compression. Acute and chronic pain may require changes in lifestyle. If left untreated, nerve root compression can cause permanent neurological damage.

Prepared by the National Institutes of Health

Try also reading information on a web site directly related to individuals experiencing symptoms similar to yours.  It may help to know you are not alone ---
www.tarlovcyst.org

Best wishes -----