Back & Neck Community
trouble in the lumbar area

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

trouble in the lumbar area

Hello, I have had two procedures done to my L5S1, many different types of injections, therapy, and all kinds of meds and nothing has seem to take away the pain not even a little. Its been two years and my pain is not getting any better, feels worse than before all of treatment was done. Recently had an injection at the root of the nerves in the areas of L4 and L5 but still nothing.whats my next step?
It is SO FRUSTRATING!  I am in the same boat.  Last year, I had extreme leg pains and alot of numbness that ended me in the emergency room and an emergency disectomy to repair the L5S1 disc.  After a week of being home it got way worse and I eneded up in the operating room to correct a blood clot around the year.  I did ok for the next few months and then the pain in the lower back, buttocks, legs and feet got really bad, almost worse then befor the surgery.  Doc order injections and I ended up doing 6 rounds and steriod pills and PT.  After a MRI, my disc was herniated again and that landed me back in the OR for a Ant/Post L5S1 Fuse.  Recovery was ok and I returned to work (desk job) after 6 weeks.  I have kept to doc orders SO SO...I tried to be careful with the lifting and the bending but felt good so I over did it.  That was in Feb.  About a month ago my leg pain has come back with a vengence.  Doc did a cat scan last week to see if the fuse had taken...it has so we are good there..the mystery is now, what is causing the nerve pain.  I cant sleep, cant sit or stand long.  Walking is ok but for short times.  I have now been refered to a pain clinic and am trying a different type of injection this Thursday.

I have to say that I am thank ful for the fuse.  I think that I have over done it and made some part of my back very mad and has decided to compress on my nerve.  The fuse fixed the mechanical problems, now I am just dealing with the aftermath.

My advise it to be patient but persistant.  Rest often.  If the injections and therapy arent working, I would go with the rest often so that things can calm down.  

Have you had an MRI?  MRIs are what have shown the doctor what needs to be fixed.  Xrays did nothing, looking at me and simple tests by the doc showed nothing.

:)