Back & Neck Community
unbearable shoulder blade pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

unbearable shoulder blade pain

i have an undescribeable amout of pain in my left it feels like almost under my shoulder blade.  this pain is only relieved a little when i point my elbow towards the ceiling...but i can't get my elbow up that far.  if you put your hand on my back where my shoulder blade is and i rotate my shoulder backwards...you can feel a clicking/grinding.  this also helps a little with the pain while i am doing it.  but the pain returns as soon as i stop. the pain is starting to travel up into my neck.  i have delt with this pain since highschool but now, i am 22 and it is getting unbearable.  any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

thank you!
Hello...
is the shoulder blade winging(sticking out)?
I have nerve damage in my neck and the pain i get in my shoulder and behind the back of my shoulder blade is agony.Its been like that since i had a car accident 4 yrs ago.I have been operated on twice but still have problems and a lot of pain.You will prob find if you had an mri scan that it has something to do with the neck,or if it is a shoulder condition like scapula winging then after a while it will start to effect the neck.

You need to see your doctor and get him to refer you to a ortheopedic surgeon who will be able to send you for some mri scans and xrays and tell you exactly what the problem is...
Hope this helps!
Hi there, I have the same pain. I have posted on here a few times about it...but mine is also left side shoulder blade. Feels like it is VERY deep inside the shoulder blade. I do hair for a living, so I assumed it was from using my left arm with a heavy blowdryer and cutting hair all the time.  In Sept...I noticed that when I swallow food, it makes that area of my shoulder blade sort of twinge in pain a little more. I ended up going to Urgent Care because it scared me, they did an chest x-ray, EKG and then recommended I see a GI doctor. So I went to a GI doctor, who didn't really seem too concerned, but order a barium swallow just to see. That came back normal. I also had bloodwork done, all normal. So here I am 3 months into this, and my shoulder blade is still killing me.

Of course I keep hearing other peoples stories and some of them have kind of scared me. One lady told me that her mother had left sided shoulder blade pain for 4-5 years and it turned out to be her gallbladder. Then one other customer said his neice had that same pain and it was Hodgkins disease, he kept talking about a lymph node, but I don't think you have lymph nodes in your shoulder blade do you?? (he might have meant clavicle, he kept saying scapula)...I keep thinking this has something to do with my neck, because it started out with neck popping sounds and sharp pains and feels like my neck could be involved.

I have not been in any car accidents, or other traumatic type injury situations, but do repetitive motion 5 days a week 7-8 hours a day.

So I am in the same boat with you :-(
I have suffered from sharp pain under my shoulder blade in both shoulders now.  The first one occured within days after I was out for a few hours throwing a football around with a friend.  I kept hearing these popping sounds coming from my shoulder everytime I threw the ball but it didn't hurt so I kept going.  A couple days later the pain started. It wasn't unbearable at first.  Then it hurt more often.  It hurt from my shoulder down my shoulderblade also from my shoulder halfway down th upper part of the back of my arm.  It eventually hurt most of the time, even hurt from the slight bounce just from walking.  After 3 weeks of this pain someone suggested putting my arm in a sling and not using it so that it can heal.  So I just tried not to use my arm as much as I could and within a week it didn't hurt anymore.  
The second shoulder just started hurting a couple days ago,  I think it is because I am riding a crotch rocket and my shoulders are absorbing so much of the shock.  Really not looking forward to this again .
I wish I knew what I could do to recover quickly and prevent future problems