Back & Neck Community
upper left back pain, think it could be nerves?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

Okay so alittle background of all my syptoms (symptoms) and what I have been going through since october 2011.

male, 6 ft, athletic, lift weights 5 days a week, football player.

Okay so it all started in october 11, I was playing football and i got slammed to the ground unexpectedly and landed on my left side, and on the football which knocked the wind out of me alittle but i got right back up and continued playing. Later that week at work, where i do not do much heavy lifting at all the pain in my upper left back behind my shoulder blade started, the kind where it hurts to breath deep. Also at this time I was taking a pro-hormone supplement called forged black extreme, and got very strong very fast off of it but it also caused my enzyme levels to rise alot in my liver so i stopped taking it. Ever since october ive had the pain in my back where it hurts to breaht, Ive had chest pain, left arm pain, shoulder pain, neck pain, pain into the hand forearm and elbow, and lots of abdominal pain more on the left side, and headaches. Ive seen about 20 different doctors and a neuorogist, and have stoped lifting weights. I noticed that my heart races out of control now too when i do almost any type of cardio or physical exertion, so much so that i have to stop, and I have lost so much strenting especially in my pushing motions that it is insane,  and it is very scary becuz this is the polar opposite of what I was back in september. I also have developed more of a winged scalpula, I had it alittle before but know it is getting worse, and my left clavical is much deeper into the top of my chest/neck than my right one. I had a endoscope becuz I thout that this pain could be my esophagus, and the doctors said I had GERD, but it turns out the endoscope revealed that I didnt have GERD, and I thhout the gerd diagnoses was weird anyways because I have always ate whatever I want. Im going to a ciropractor and a physical theripist from a referl from my doctor this week, and have another apointment with the neurologist in april. My thorasic spine and neck mri were normal for the most part and the Docs said it was nothign to worry about, but the pain is still worse than ever.

So could all this be a long thoracic nerve injury or something different? All my tests blood, ekg, ecocardiogram etc. are normal, so Now im thinking its muscular/skelatal, and nerve related. PLEASE someone weigh in on this, i havent felt normal for 6 months and its interfered with so many things in my life that I cant live normal anymore, I try to stay positive, but sometimes its hard when the pain is always there. PLEASE HELP
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include neuropathies, myopathies, nerve impingement, muscular/ ligament/ tendon injuries, inflammations, structural/ postural issues, nutrient/ micronutrient deficiencies, cardiac issues like myopathies, arrhythmias, vascular abnormalities, GI/ GU issues etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by an internist initially and depending on the cause diagnosed/ suspected, it can be managed accordingly or specialist(s) care may be sought.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!