Back & Neck Community
what is posttraumatic central cord myelomacalia? and whats a syrinx ? h...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

what is posttraumatic central cord myelomacalia? and whats a syrinx ? how to treat it ?

i was just diagnosed with  posttraumatic  central cord myelomalacia and told i have a syrinx  4.5 mm going from c-7 to T-2...where can i find information on this ?

ive already had several falls due to right leg weakness and i sometimes have loss of bladder control and numbness on my right cheek, and i have numbness in my hands and arms as well as a big spot on my upper back that sometimes turns into pins and needles ...needless to say im scared ...i dont have anyone to really sit down with to explain everything out as far as what it is and how to treat it or what could happen if its left alone ...please help ...
Hi...I am not a dr, but am aware of what a syrinx is.....sounds like u were in a MVA or had some form of injury in which it caused ur spine to soften...below I found this deff *on the web..
And a syrinx or syringomyelia is a cavity filled with CSF...if the cavity continues to grow it can put pressure on the cord and the nerves...most syrinx's r too small for a shunt or stent so many r just watched...u will want to see a dr that specializes in this and related conditions.

MedHelp has a forum for Chiari Malformation and we do include syringomyelia there as well...urs sounds to be acquired and not congenital... were u told that is in fact the case?

Please stop by the chiari forum and look at the Health Pages ...there is info on syringomyelia and we have members that can share their experiences too.
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Chiari-Malformation/show/257?camp=msc

Good luck
"selma"

*Myelomalacia is a pathological term referring the softening of the spinal cord.[1] Hemorrhagic infarction (bleeding) of the spinal cord that can occur as a sequel to acute injury, such as that caused by intervertebral disc extrusion (being forced or pressed out) is the cause of myelomalacia. [2] The disorder causes flaccid paraplegia (impairment of motor function in lower extremities), total areflexia (below normal or absence of reflexes) of the pelvic limbs and anus, loss of deep pain perception caudal (in the coccyx) to the site of spinal cord injury, muscular atrophy (wasting away of muscle tissue), depressed mental state, and respiratory difficulty due to intercostal (muscles that run between the ribs) and diaphragmatic paralysis. [3] Gradual cranial migration of the neurological deficits (problems relating to the nervous system), is known as ascending syndrome and is said to be a typical feature of diffuse myelomalacia. Although clinical signs of myelomalacia are observed within the onset (start) of paraplegia, sometimes they may become evident only in the post-operative period, or even days after the onset of paraplegia. Death from myelomalacia may occur as a result of respiratory paralysis when the ascending lesion (abnormal damaged tissue) reaches the motor nuclei of the phrenic nerves (nerves between the C3-C5 region of the spine) in the cervical (neck) region[4].