Back & Neck Community
why does my shoulder blade hurt so much?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

i was hit while playing hockey almost 2 years ago and my shoulder blade has cracked ever since. at first there was no pain, but one night i slept on it wrong. this was about a year ago and now whenever i carry a moderately heavy backpack for a extended periods of time my shoulder blade (the upper part of my shoulder blade) burns, and hurts really badly. (my shoulder continues to crack unnaturally when i move it).
does anyone know what may be wrong?
I dont see in your posting where you say you got hit while playing hockey.  Im not sure if you got hit in the "shoulder blade" or that is just where your pain is manifesting.  However 2 years is a long time to be in any kind of pain.  My advice would be if you havent already, go to your PCP and tell him exactly what happened at the time of the injury, where you where hit and explain exactly the type of pain you have.  You can then move forward with your physician in hopefully getting some diagnositic testing ie. x-rays, and/or MRI to see what is really going on in your shoulder and possibly the surrounding areas.  You cannot possibly know what is wrong without seeing your doctor and having some diagnostic tests.  When you get the tests back you and your physician will plan a course of action based on the results.  Also be careful with the backpack being too heavy it can cause all types of problems and add insult to injury, I would lay off carrying it for awhile until you find out whats going on if possible.

good luck.