Back & Neck Community
worried and in pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to back and neck problems, exercise, pain, sleeping, and physical therapy.

worried and in pain

So I had the microdiscectomy on L4/L5 about 4 weeks ago, I was pain free, until 2 days ago. I kicked a soccer ball around for 8 mins, and now my pain is back in my calf Muscle and lower back. Is it possible I'm just sore and will go away. Or could I have rehernated my disc
I had surgery at L4/L5 on April 25th 2013. (1 0f 12 previous back/neck surgeries) I was given a snug brace to wear around my waist for the first 3 months...the most critical time. Mine required plates and screws because all the rest of my lumbar was fused due to scoliosis. I was told that if ANYTHING I am doing, no matter how small, gives me any discomfort, then I should stop right away. My body is trying to tell me something. I believe the same is possible in your case. Though it didn't seem like much when you were doing it, it may have been. 4 weeks is not very much time to be doing anything that strenuous. I was assured by my P.A. in the office  that it would take a lot to undo what was done in my surgery. Synthetic or cadaver bone is usually placed in the area to encourage healing, and bone takes quite a while to form and fuse with your existing spine.  I would take it extremely easy for the next week or so and hopefully it will improve. If not, I would contact your surgeon as soon as possible. They may want to take an X-ray to see how the level is healing. I personally  do not believe you have reinjured the area, but I do think your body is telling you to take a few steps back and consider doing lighter exercise for right now. Only your surgeon can tell if you reinjured the site.Rest, and NSAIDS (if you can take them) should have you feeling better shortly. Perhaps stick with some light walking, slow even pace, and not for an extended period of time. If you are still nervous, you can call the office and speak with a nurse or P.A. who can reassure you about what is going on. That is what they are there for. I too am having considerable calf pain as well, however I never had any of that before my surgery. My scoliosis makes my case a bit more complicated though. Hope I have been of some help. I am new to this site and I am happy to share my experiences with others. Keep you in my prayers and wish you all the best with your recovery process!!
MRSDJMW