Back, Spine & Neck Surgery Expert Forum
12 mo. post ACDF crunching noise and pain

Questions in the Back and Spine Surgery forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

I had an ACDF surgery on 9-25-07 for my C4-5,5-6 and 6-7.  They removed my discs and replaced them with three plastic discs that are held in place by a titanium bracket.  For the last month I've been experiencing crunching sounds that leads to neck pain.  I have limited movement before the crunching and crackling noices start and I'm not able to sit in one position for too long and watching TV or reading has become harder to do.  My neck feels cold alot even though it's in the 90's where I live.  I put a scarf around my neck quite often to keep the heat in.  
Any advise???

Also, my scar is about 21/2 inches long and it runs vertically,,, is there anyone else out there that has a vertical scar?
The vertical scar is common when you need 3 discs replaced.  It is very difficult for a surgeon to see everything safely in a 3 level case by using a horizontal scar.
The "crunching" sound and subsequent pain may be your facet joints in the back of your neck.  Sometimes some physical therapy modalities may help.  Occasionally, facet joint injections are needed to settle things down.  Consult with your surgeon to make sure all is ok with the discs.
Thank you for responding..  I have an appoinment with my neurosurgeon next week.  In the meantime I've been taking muscle relaxers and Darvocet to help with the pain, not that I like taking pain pills cause they're very hard on my stomach.  I keep a warm scarf around my neck and that seems to give me some temporary relief.  

As for my scar, I've been pretty worried about whether or not they really had to go in vertically since I was told during my consult that they were going in horizontially.  The scar looks pretty intimidating, and when I talk to other people who have had what seems to be a more ivasive surgery it's upsetting to see that their scar runs horizontal.  Thank you for help!!
A related discussion, crunching in back of head was started.