Back, Spine & Neck Surgery Expert Forum
Anterior or posterior surgery

Questions in the Back and Spine Surgery forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Anterior or posterior surgery

I have a right c6/7 posterolateral/lateral disc herniation,narrowing the exit foreman and lateral recess, compromising the exiting nerve root and probably also the transmitting root. My surgeon says that the posterior approach to surgery is inapproporiate for me and that I should have an anterior discectomy with an implant. Would you agree and if so,why? I would value your opinion as I would prefer the posterior cervical foraminotomy approach if at all possibe.
Usually we reserve the posterior approach for patients with almost 100% arm symptoms and no neck pain.  The disc herniation is not completely removed in the posterior approach but the surgeon opens the hole (foraminotomy).

The anterior approach allows for a complete clean out of the disc but requires either a fusion or disc replacement to fill in the space where the disc was.  This is usually a better option if you have a combination of both neck and arm pain.