Back, Spine & Neck Surgery Expert Forum
CT thoracic spine results

Questions in the Back and Spine Surgery forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

CT thoracic spine results

had 2 recent thoracic CT's (10/29 & 12/2/10) and hope you can put in layman's terms. The CT was repeated because the 1st was not helpful at all to the doc. 2nd was much more complete, but still can't follow doctor on phone as to results in layman's terms. H/o R.S.D. (CRPS) dx in '99, systemic (ule, ure, lle, lre) & osteoporosis.  Recent severe thoracic back pain I thought was probably RSD spreading after pain pump implant on 6/24/10, though symptoms not immediately following surgery, pain doc thought dx was thoracic facet joint disease. It should also be noted that I have had a SCS with 4 revisions and ultimate removal (6 surgeries), and 2 intrathecal pain pump implant surgeries.
CT results: Normal vertebral alignment. Mild degenerative changes upper thoracic spine with multi-level interspace narrowing & endplate spurring. Calcification within the T10-1 disc is chronic and suggests immobile level. Partially imaged intrathecal catheter lies in the ventral subarachnoid space in imaged upper lumbar spine & extends along left anterior aspect of the cord to level of T9 inferior endplate. catheter intact.
In layman terms, what does this mean?  I'm not having surgery no matter what. I will agree to nerve block (pain doc suggested RFA), but had enough surgery on back for RSD pain relief that has left plenty of scars. Does this help confirm doc's dx of thoracic facet joint disease or is it more likely RSD that has spread? Doc mentioned something about "hunching" that I do...something about how RSD led to new dx. Complicated & confused. I think I do that to alleviate back pain while sitting for prolonged periods of time.
Dear Friend,
Need more analysis to do.
Please tell me your
1) Age,
2) Job Profile
3) Past history of any accident or injury?

Regards
I also have the feeling of electricity buzzing in my back down to my hips, and through both my shoulders to fingers, and up my neck.  I've had an SCS in the past for pain control, and that's exactly what it feels like to me; like I have an SCS implanted again and it's on. Weird I know.  But it's not the same feeling as the "pins & needles" I get in my feet or fingers sometimes, or arms & legs when I've had them in a position too long. This electricity buzzing just appears and disappears when I'm doing could be doing nothing but watching TV, or I could be doing some craft of some sort.  What could this be and/or what could be causing this?
Age: 49

Job profile: Disabled due to upper & lower extremity RSD (currently using motorized wheelchair for distance & loftstrand arm crutches for in-house ambulating)

Past injury or accident: None to my back at all.

I have possible relevant history of osteoporosis since 35 y/o; and R.S.D. (reflex sympathetic dystrophy) since 38 y/o (due to shoulder sprain/strain injury). Again, no previous direct injuries to my spine.
Dear Friend,
In this case scenario, the treatment would be based on controlling the symptoms only. You need a good orthopaedician's consultation in order to control the bone loss due to osteoporosis and plan the treatment further.
The RSD can be treated only if the bone mass is regained. Else the cycle of RSD would continue to keep your concern active.
Hence please discuss with a good orthopaedician as physical examination and assessment is vital, in the present condition.
Feel free to discuss further.
Regards
Thanks for your treatment advice, but it didn't answer the questions I asked at the beginning of this thread (i.e. CT xray results). I want to know what the CT report meant, not how to be treated for results, so I'm still as lost as I was before. FYI: I have received an IV treatment of Reclast under guidance of GYN.

In layman terms, what does this mean? ...  Does this help confirm doc's dx of thoracic facet joint disease or is it more likely RSD that has spread?.... Complicated & confused.

I hope you can answer the original questions now.  Thank you.
A related discussion, Rib Pain, shortness of breath, multiple thoracic hern's was started.