Back, Spine & Neck Surgery Expert Forum
Correcting Anterolisthesis at the time if spinal fusion

Questions in the Back and Spine Surgery forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

It was discovered that my wife has a spinal compression at L4 and L5 that was causing bladder issues so emgerency surgery was don by a Neurosurgeon not a Orthopedic Surgeon.  At the time of the surgery Feb 2010) it was also noted that she had an anterolisthesis Grade 1 (4mm) 0f L4 on L5 and and some at L5 on S1.  The spinal fusion was done but the anterolisthesis above was not corrected at the time of the fusion.  The bladder issues were corrected and the pain relieved.   The American society of Neurosurgeon has advised that some Neurosurgeon will not correct a anterolisthesis unless there is a Orthepedic Surgeon is on the team at the time.  (1) Is this a correct statement in your judgement.  (2) Knowing there was anterolisthesis should a Orthepedic Surgeon do the correction at the time of the spinal surgery.

I am asking that because on Dec 2010 my wife had a sever fall that has now resulted in a torn disc between L4 and L5 and the anterolisthesis has increased to 5.5mm of L4 on L5 and a 3mm of L5 on S1.  The anterolisthesis has increased and now extreme pain is a result of the torn disc and other issues.  It must be noted that there is also presure being presented on the spinal cord due the fall and to a degree the non-correction of the anterolisthesis at the time of the spinal fusion was also causing pressure and now it is even more we have been advised.

(3) I have all the CAT and MRI most resent of 1/1/11 CAT and 3-2011 that can be sent if required.
(4) Is there a situation that the previous spinal fusion will have to be redone or corrected the best it can be to assist in the treatment of the torn disc between L4 and L5.

We have heard that spinal fusion of L4 and L5 only put more pressure on the below and above verabrate should there be a fall because there is now a mild disc bulge asymmetric to the left and bilateral ligamentue flavum thickening and facet hypertropy at L3 and L4
Dear Friend,
Please find my answers -

(1) Is this a correct statement in your judgement.   -  
Well rules are laid by many associations, but the operating surgeon knows the best, at the time of surgery. So there must be a specific reason as why this was not done.

(2) Knowing there was anterolisthesis should a Orthepedic Surgeon do the correction at the time of the spinal surgery. -
Any spine surgeon (orthopaedician or neurosurgeon) can do the required surgery. Hence there is no need to think, if it falls in the domain of ortho or neuro.

Really not required presently. as i will not be able to view the same.

(4) Is there a situation that the previous spinal fusion will have to be redone or corrected the best it can be to assist in the treatment of the torn disc between L4 and L5
WHat are the present symptoms. Need to know them, before comiting any statement