Back, Spine & Neck Surgery Expert Forum
Hemangioma involving entire C-5 Vertebral Body Without Extension to Pos...

Questions in the Back and Spine Surgery forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Hemangioma involving entire C-5 Vertebral Body Without Extension to Posterior Elements

I do not want surgery on C-5 to remove a hemangioma that is involving nearly the entire vertebral body(no posterior elements).  There is mild to moderate spinal stenosis involved (C4-C5 mild central canal stenosis, C-5-C-6 mild to moderate central canal stenosis).  

I have minor symptoms.  I am a cyclist and have learned ways to cope in my life with pain.  The pain has been there for some time.  However, I do not give in to life's circumstances and will not give in to this now.

I a 47 year-old female.  I did sustain a significant injury to C-3 many years ago and have arthritis in C-1, C-2, C-3.  I have no indication that this is a metastatic disease due to lack of history of malignancy. I have no signal abnormalities in the cervical spine.

What course of action do you recommend given these conditions that help solve my problem without surgery?
I have never done a hemangioma resection or surgery.  I have read about surgeons doing a bone cement (kyphoplasty) surgery to treat LUMBAR but not cervical.  Not sure I can give you much advice other than only consider surgery as a last resort and see if you can find anyone with experience in hemangiomas.  Not everyone is conviced they cause pain.

You state that you have minor symptoms so stick with treatments like physical therapy, spinal injections for the other levels.
I'm not a doctor but can relate.  My lumbar spine is absolutely covered in hemngiomas.  I can't get my neurologist to tell me if they are further up too.  They were initially dismissed, but I have now been referred on to a neurosurgeon and am awaiting his input.  I agree not all doctors accept that hemangioams can cause pain.  I now walk with a cane.

I too am worried surgery will be suggested.  These blood vessel tumours are so dangerous to touch.  I seem to remember reading or hearing somewhere about radiotherapy being somethimes used to shrink them.  I may look into it if it comes to the point where I have to choose between being able to walk or having them removed.

I too have arthritis in the spine, along with a scoliosis, and a range of other health conditions.  I am a little younger than you, female.

I agree that if the symptoms are mild best to leave this alone.  Only if there is real risk of severe vertebral damage or nerve compression consider surgery.  The risk of uncontrollable bleeding with surgery is very real.  But should you need the op make sure your doctor is a specialist in this area.  

If you like I can chat with you after I see the neurosurgeon in a month or so and let you know what he suggests.  Was really peeved off with my doctors last week but realise they are all I've got, and they may be standing between me and permanent disability.  Like you I was once very fit.  It took me over a year to pluck up the courage to buy a cane, the stares I got from my limp and falling over were worse than having the cane, and now I can walk further without falling and push throuth the pain.  It's as if I've forgotten life before it.  But want to get back to being able bodied.  I led an active and healthy life, I deserved it, so I thought.

Going off on one here...just to tell you I sympathize.  Be well

wish