Back, Spine & Neck Surgery Expert Forum
Is this a serious problem?

Questions in the Back and Spine Surgery forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Is this a serious problem?

I'm in the army.  I got an MRI done and the results are:
"Vertebral body alignment, height and marrow signal are unremarkable.  There is an 8.0 mm T1-T2 hyperintensity focus with fat saturation in L3 vertebral body consistent with a hemangioma.  Disc heights and signal are maintained.  The conus location, caliber and signal are unremarkable.  The nerve roots course normally without clumping."  And:
L3- 4: Unremarkable.
L4- 5: Minimal disc bulge and facet arthropathy.
L5- S1: Minimal midline protruded appearance contained in the epidural space.

I would like to know is this a problem.  Im being told not to worry about it.  But with as active as the army keeps me, i need to know what would be my best option.
Usually a hemangioma is not a problem and typically does not cause any symptoms.  Mild bulging discs can cause some back pain but again those are not serious problems.  
you know the written report that comes with an mri is very little help...the film itself is what really shows what is going on..can u get a copy of ur disc from where u had ur mri?  i sat down with my doctor and we went over it so i could understand...nothing u mention here sounds abnormal for someone over 30...but it is the film that really countsa