Back, Spine & Neck Surgery Expert Forum
Neuroforamina narrowing

Questions in the Back and Spine Surgery forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Neuroforamina narrowing

I was diagnosed as having Neuroforamina narrowing , 2 bulging disk and arthritis in my neck, after 3 weeks of severe pain.  I am not familiar with the Neuroforamina narrowing at all and now I have several questions but I don't see the doctor again for four weeks.
1.Is this a rare condition? I understood the doctor to say it was but my husband thinks I misunderstood her.
2.Is this hereditary?
3.Is this something that can be operated on to correct?
4.What are the options for treatment?
5. I understood the doctor to say one of the problems with this is paralysis, what percentage of people that have this have some type of paralysis?
6. What causes this?
7. Does the Neuroforamina narrowing cause pain or is all the pain from the disc and arthritis?
Narrowing in the foramina is simply less room available for the nerves to pass through as they exit the spinal canal and travel to the arms or legs.  The foramina is the hole where the nerve exit the spinal canal.
Most of the narrowing in adults is due to aging, wear and tear, bone spurs, disc bulges and is not typically serious enough to cause paralysis.
If you have arm pain then an epidural may be helpful and some physical therapy.  If you have severe symptoms of nerve damage then surgery can be helpful.
1 Comment
A related discussion, disk problems was started.