Back, Spine & Neck Surgery Expert Forum
Post Op seroma

Questions in the Back and Spine Surgery forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Post Op seroma
I had a fusion of L3-L5 on Apr 2, 2008.  There was a dural sac tear that was repaired by a stitch during the surgery.

A lumbar spine MRI with contrast was done on 6/6/2008 that reported:   "seroma posterior to the thecal sac extending from L3-L5.  The largest part of this fluid colledtion is about 2.5 cmwide x 1.5 cm AP".

I am now having right thigh pain that I did not have before the surgery.  Is a Myelogram the ONLY test for this?  Please advise if there is any other test possible, or if the seroma has been caused by leakage and if that leakage continues, what are the consequenses?

Thank you

Lev19
Yes, a myelogram is the only test to confirm if the repair is intact and whether or not the seroma is from CSF,  It may not tell you exactly why you have thigh pain.    A CT scan  can help figure out if any of the screws may be irritating a nerve.  That is also a possible explanation for the thigh pain.  Occasionally, a nerve gets irritated during surgery and you may have persitent pain secondary to that.

Thank you for this information.  What is the treatment if the repair is still leaking?