Back, Spine & Neck Surgery Expert Forum
Reversal of the curvature of the cervical spine?

Questions in the Back and Spine Surgery forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

I have had chronic neck pain radiating down my right shoulder blade. My MRI findings are: 1.Slight reversal of cervical spine.  2.Disc narrowing C5-C6,C6-C7.  3.Reactive bone changes C6-C7.  4. Mild right neuroforaminal stenosis C2-C3.  5.Left neuroforaminal stenosis C3-C4,C4-C5. 6. Bilateral neuroforaminal stenosis C5-C6.C6-C7.   My X-ray findings are: There is a reversal of the lordotic curvature of the cervical spine.There is moderate narrowind of the C5-C6 and C6-C7 disc spaces with associated mild-moderate anterior osteophytic spurring. There is no significant neural foraminal stenosis. My orthopedic Dr. sent me to physical therapy for three weeks. I was going to therapy, but my symptoms where not getting better. After two weeks of therapy, I was sitting at home looking at my x-rays on my computer and noticed the slight reversal of my cervical spine near C5-C6-C7. So I rolled up a small towel and placed it behind my neck and gently pulled forward and held it for a few seconds. I did this a few times and remarkably the pain was all gone! I was able to turn my head with out any pain. What should be my next step? Should I see a chiropractor to help reverse the curvature of my neck or leave it alone, since the pain is gone?
Ray,
glad to hear you are feeling better and it is a confirmation that many people improve without surgery!
We have a saying in my business, "the enemy of good is better"
So, if I were you, I would get some basic instruction on good neck mechanics, make sure my work station is ergonomic, and move on with life.  It is not possible for any chiropractic doctor to effectively "reverse" the curve as you have some permanent (probably normal) degeneration in the neck and it will simply find its postion of function (curved or straight).
Good luck