Back, Spine & Neck Surgery Expert Forum
Serious Condition or Hang Nail?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Back and Spine Surgery forum are being answered by medical professionals and experts.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Serious Condition or Hang Nail?

My hubby, (56 y/o), with low back pain 5+ yrs accompanied the last 8 mo by leg numbness, weakness, stumbling. Conservative treatment-2 years. 5/8 MRI findings: Diminished hydration signal of disc material at all levels indicates disc desiccation, degeneration. T12-L1: Broad based posterior protrusion of disc material centrally; L1-L2/L5-S1: Posterior bulging annulus fibrosis; L2-L3: Disc degenerative change; L3-L4/L4-L5: Same as T12-L1+Moderate facet arthritis, thickening ligamentum flavum, lateral recess bilaterally and neural foramen narrowing-right side posterior lateral protrusion disc material; L5-S1: Posterior bulging annulus fibrosis. Neurosurgeon's interpretation: Moderate  stenosis, discs not causing neuropathy. 6/24 Peri-vascular normal. 7/26-Nerve study: Ooverall moderate neuropathy-diabetes. Needle probes spinal neuropathy (left leg minimal reaction). L5-S1 surgery recommended. Why lack urgency-appts month apart- report to surgeon same day-still no contact.  Diabetic neuropathy? Hubby's diagnosis within 1 yr and his 3/6 month average tests on high end of normal range. He has been told by family Dr. that the back pain could result in false readings for his daily results. 3. What about the other bulging discs? 4. What kind of surgery will likely be recommended? 5. What is prognosis? 6. Recovery? 7. I'm fairly confident he also suffers from undiagnosed sleep apnea as he is a heavy snorer and stops breathing for 30-45 seconds (if not more) numerous times every night. How will this effect his recovery/surgery? 8. What about the spinal stenosis? Footnote: Family history-Mother diabetes and neuropathy resulting in foot amputation. Father incapacitated by degenerative arthritis resulting in nursing home care at age 50. Any insight you can share would be greatly appreciated! Both hubby and I feel that his physicians' casual attitude seems to indicate his condition is not that big of a deal, but I'm WORRIED SICK!